Experiencing the World's Religions : Tradition, Challenge, and Change
"Experiencing the World's Religions" is a leading seller because it successfully addresses what a person should know about religions, and why. Michael Molloy provides an exceptionally clear and compelling account of the teaching of the world's religions. The text covers all the essential material and goes beyond traditional approaches to personally connect students with the vitality of the great religions.
Out of ideas for the holidays?
Visit our Gift Guides and find our recommendations on what to get friends and family during the holiday season. Shop now .
- Paperback | 576 pages
- 182.9 x 228.6 x 17.8mm | 861.84g
- 01 Aug 2001
- McGraw-Hill Education - Europe
- Mayfield Publishing Co ,U.S.
- United States
- 2nd Revised edition
- Illustrations (some col.), col. maps, ports. (some col.)
Table of contents
1. Understanding Religion Why Is There Religion? / Patterns among Religions / Multidisciplinary Approaches to the Study of Religion / Key Critical Questions / Why Study the Major Religions of the World? / The Pilgrimage 2. Oral Religions Discovering Oral Religions / Studying Oral Religions: Learning from Patterns / Sacred Practices in Oral Religions / Oral Religions Today 3. Hinduism The Origins of Hinduism / The Upanishads and the Axis Age / Living Spiritually in the Everyday World / Devotional Hinduism / Hinduism and the Arts / Hinduism: Modern Challenges 4. Buddhism The Beginnings of Buddhism: The Life of the Buddha / The Basic Teachings of Buddhism / The Influence of Indian Thought on Early Buddhist Teachings / The Early Development of Buddhism / Theravada Buddhism: The Way of the Elders / Mahayana Buddhism: The "Big Vehicle" / Zen Buddhism: Enlightenment Through Experience / Vajrayana Buddhism: The "Diamond Vehicle" / Buddhism, the West, and Modern Challenges 5. Jainism and Sikhism Shared Origins / Jainism / Background / Mahavira and the Origins of Jainism / Worldview / Jain Ethics / The Development of Jainism and Its Branches / Jain Practices / Jain Scriptures / Jain Art and Architecture / Sikhism / Background / Nanak and the Origins of Sikhism / The Worldview and Teachings of Nanak / The Development of Sikhism / Sikh Scriptures / Sikhism and the Modern World 6. Taoism and Confucianism Basic Elements of Traditional Chinese Beliefs / Taoism / The Origins of Philosophical Taoism / The Basic Teachings of Philosophical Taoism / Taoism and the Quest for Longevity / Religious Taoism / Taoism and the Arts / Taoism and the Modern World / Confucianism / The Tao in Confucianism / The Life of Confucius / Living According to Confucian Values / Confucian Literature / The Development of Confucianism / Confucianism and the Arts / Confucianism and the Modern World 7. Shinto The Origins of Shinto / The Historical Development of Shinto / Essentials of Shinto Belief / Shinto Religious Practice / Shinto and the Arts / Shinto Offshoots: The New Religions / Shinto and the Modern World 8. Judaism An Overview of Jewish History / The Hebrew Bible / Biblical History / Exile and Captivity / Cultural Conflict during the Second-Temple Era / The Development of Rabbinical Judaism / Questioning and Reform / Judaism and the Modern World / Jewish Belief / Religious Practice / Divisions within Contemporary Judaism / The Contributions of Judaism / Jewish Identity and the Future of Judaism 9. Christianity The Life and Teachings of Jesus / Early Christian Beliefs and History / The Essential Christian Worldview / The Early Spread of Christianity / Influences on Christianity at the End of the Roman Empire / Christianity in the Middle Ages / The Protestant Reformation / The Development of Christianity Following the Protestant Reformation / Christian Practice / Christianity and the Arts / Christianity Faces the Twenty-First Century 10. Islam The Life and Teachings of Muhammad / Essentials of Islam / The Historical Development of Islam / Sufism: Islamic Mysticism / Islamic Law and Philosophy / Islam and the Arts / Islam and the Modern World 11. Alternative Paths Origins of New Religions / Neo-Paganism: Wicca and Druidism / Religions of the Yoruba Tradition: Santeria, Voodoo, Candomble / Theosophy / Scientology / Falun Gong / Cao Dai / Rastafarianism / Baha'i / New Religious Movements: A Special Role 12. The Religious Search in the Modern World Modern Influences on the Future of Religion / The Recurring Challenge of Change / Naturism: A New Religious Phenomenon? / Eclectic Spirituality / Notes / Credits / Index In each chapter: Religion Beyond the Classroom For Fuller Understanding Related Readings Key Terms