An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk; Containing a Description of the Towns, Villages, and Hamlets, with the Foundations of Monasteries ... and Other Religious Buildings ...

An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk; Containing a Description of the Towns, Villages, and Hamlets, with the Foundations of Monasteries ... and Other Religious Buildings ...

By (author) 

List price: US$55.58

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1775 edition. Excerpt: ...Jeg gave a small piece of land in this parish. Mr. William Potter of Seaming, in 1697, gave a rent charge of 12;. now paid by the overseers. Mr. William Mountain in 1697, gave a rent charge of 4/. iSs. issuing out of an estate in this parish. Mr. William Barker, in 1720, gave money, with which a piece of land in Yaxham was purchased. Mr. Edmund Williamson, in 1721, gave a piece of land in Shipdam. These benefactions amounting to between 40 and 50/. a year, are distributed ia money and wearing apparel to the poor inhabitants, (who do not take collection) every Christmas. There are likewise upwards of 20 acres of land called Headborough-1 and, lying chiefly in this parish, the rent of which is to keep the streets, bridges, &c, &c. in. proper condition. Mr. Aaron Williamson, in 1710,"gave a dwelling-house and a small piece of land, called Roomes, the rent of which is to be applied in putting out poor orphans apprentices to trades. GARVES'TON, IN Domesday book occurs by the name of Gerolsestuna, and 'part os it was a beruiteto the manor of Whinbergh, held by Hermerus de Fcrrarijs, of which Turchetel, a free man, lord in King Edward's reign, had been deprived: this part contained one carucate of land, held by one villain, and one borderer, with one carucate and 4 acres of meadow, one runcus, 3 cows, and 44 sheep, (which was alued together with Whinburgh, and measured with it) and a church endowed with 7 acres. Another part of this town was also held by Hermerus, of which 19 free men had also been deprived: this contained an 100 acres of land, 4 carucates and 9 z acres of meadow, valued in King Edward's time at 2oj-. at the survey at 5. and 4. of these Bordin held 24 acres, valued at 4J. and accounted for in the aioresaid vdue. The...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 492 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 25mm | 871g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236570510
  • 9781236570512