Eridanus Group

Eridanus Group

Edited by 

List price: US$47.99

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

The Eridanus Group, sometimes called the Eridanus Cloud, is a nearby loose grouping of galaxies at a mean distance of approximately 75 Mly in the constellation Eridanus. Redshift values show that there are approximately 200 galaxies associated with the group, approximately 70% of which are spiral and irregular type galaxies whilst the remaining 30% are elliptical and lenticular types. The concentration of galaxies in the Eridanus area was first identified by Baker in 1933. A more in depth study and discussion of the region was carried out by de Vaucouleurs in 1975. Work by Willmer et al. in 1989 suggested that the Group is condensing from the Hubble Flow and is a prominent feature in the large-scale system called the Eridanus-Fornax-Dorado Filament. The group extends over approximately 10 Mpc and on the sky is bounded by the lines of 3hr6' and 4hr30' of Right Ascension and 10 and 30 Declinationshow more

Product details

  • Paperback | 84 pages
  • 152 x 229 x 5mm | 136g
  • Fec Publishing
  • United States
  • English
  • 6134935611
  • 9786134935616