Dunston, Staffordshire

Dunston, Staffordshire

List price: US$38.01

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online. Dunston is a small village in England lying on the west side of the A449 trunk road about 3 miles (4.8 km) south of Stafford, close to Junction 13 of the M6 motorway. It lies at roughly 300 feet (98 m) above sea level. Dunston was formerly part of the ancient parish of Penkridge. In the middle ages it formed a member of the manor of Penkridge and at Domesday in 1066 this was a royal manor. However, by 1166, Robert de Stafford was recognised as lord and Hervey de Stretton was his tenant at Dunston, although the de Staffords retained land at Dunston at least until the 16th century. The lordship and the bulk of the land descended in the de Stretton family for several generations but, by 1285, they were renting most of their land to the Pickstock family, and in 1316 John Pickstock was named as lord of Dunston. The Pickstocks's were actually business people, burgesses of the county town of Stafford.show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 60 pages
  • 152 x 229 x 4mm | 100g
  • Populpublishing
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 6136169339
  • 9786136169330