Drem Railway Station

Drem Railway Station

Edited by 

List price: US$41.00

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online. Drem railway station serves the village of Drem in East Lothian, 8 kilometres from the seaside town of North Berwick in Scotland. It is located on the East Coast Main Line 29 kilometres east of Edinburgh Waverley. Passenger services are provided on the First ScotRail North Berwick Line, and the junction where the North Berwick branch diverges from the ECML is a short distance to the east of the station. The station was opened by the North British Railway on 22 June 1846, on the same date as the main line from Edinburgh to Berwick-upon-Tweed. The short branch towards North Berwick was opened by the NBR on 13 August 1849, making the station a junction of some importance. The earthworks and bridges on the North Berwick line were built to accommodate double track, but only one track was ever laid and in its early years the line was not particularly successful. In 1856-57 the NBR attempted to cut costs by operating most of the branch passenger trains with horse traction. The horse-drawn carriage used, known as the 'Dandy Car', had originally been built for the NBR's Portobello to Leith branch, and was later used on the Port Carlisle branch. It is now in the National Railway Museum at Yoshow more

Product details

  • Paperback | 68 pages
  • 152 x 229 x 4mm | 113g
  • Chrono Press
  • United States
  • English
  • 6135884395
  • 9786135884395