The Diocese of Louisiana

The Diocese of Louisiana

By (author) 

List price: US$16.70

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1888 edition. Excerpt: ...under the name of Zion Church. Efforts were made to build a church, and a considerable sum was subscribed. Irreligion and vice were reported as sadly prevalent. Mr. Purdy resigned at an unknown date. The parish was admitted into union with the Convention April 14, 1847. The Rev. William H. Burton became rector November 1, 1848, in connection with his work at New Iberia. In 1850, he discontinued his ministrations, but resumed them in 1852. In 1853, there were seven communicants, of whom three were colored. Mr. Burton resigned in December, 1853. At that time there was a subscription of $1,400, and a lot was secured for the proposed church. There were then, however, oidy two white c ommunicants. The Rev. W. K. Douglas took charge of this work in connection with that at New Iberia, in 1859. He found that there had been no provision for "Protestantworship for a longtime, being probably the largest city in our country thus situated." Mr. Douglas resigned January 1, 1861. From dale until 1870, there does not appear to have been any service, not even an Episcopal one. In that year the rector at New Iberia, the Rev. L. Y. Jessup revived the dormant parish. Arrangements were made for a monthly Sunday service by Mr. Jessup. and Mr. E. R. Knight, as lay reader, to officiate on all other Sundays. A Sunday school was commenced. Said Mr. Jessup: "Their willingness to work for Christ and His Church seems equalled only by their ability." On the 22d March, 1871, eleven were confirmed, the parish re-organized and measures inaugurated for the erection of a church. During the year the church was built, a neat Gothic edifice, costing about $2,000, and was entirely paid for. The interesting history of the building of this church can best be...show more

Product details

  • Paperback
  • 189 x 246 x 5mm | 172g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236967100
  • 9781236967107