Derbyshire

Derbyshire

By (author) 

List price: US$6.58

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1903 edition. Excerpt: ...swamped by the extensive new work of 1893-4.; the small lectern, a brass pelican-in-her-piety, dates from 1711, and was formerly part of the font cover; there is also a good Chantrey monument of the year 1828. The register of St Werburgh's contains one notable entry, namely, the marriage of Dr Johnson: --"July 9, 1735. Mard-Sam"Johnson of y= parish S. Marys in Lichfield and Elizh Porter of y= parish of S. Phillip in Burmingham." The church of St Peter's has been so persistently "restored" and "restored" during the 19th century, that little of interest to the ecclesiologist now remains. There is a remarkably good 14.th century chest, and the squint from the upper room of the sacristy, or priest's chamber, on the north side of the chancel may be noticed. There is one other old ecclesiastical survival in the town of exceptional interest, namely the old chapel of "Our Lady of ye Brigg." It is the most valuable relic of old Derby now extant. The old custom of having a chapel on or close to any important bridge was followed at Derby in connection with the one means of transit over the Derwent that the town possessed in mediaeval days. This bridge was rebuilt between 1326 and 1330, and a fairly spacious chapel formed a component part of the structure. Hutton, the old Derby historian, describes it as forming "part of the bridge, with which it is interwoven, as if erected with it." Soon after this was written, namely in 1789, the old bridge of St Mary was taken down, and the present one built some ten yards higher up the stream. The access to the bridge on the Derby side, and a portion of the first arch on which the chapel stood, was suffered to remain, as the chapel...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 68 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 4mm | 141g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236831721
  • 9781236831729