Cyclopedia of Methodism; Embracing Sketches of Its Rise, Progress, and Present Condition, with Biographical Notices and Numerous Illustrations

Cyclopedia of Methodism; Embracing Sketches of Its Rise, Progress, and Present Condition, with Biographical Notices and Numerous Illustrations

By (author) 

List price: US$22.14

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1881 edition. Excerpt: ...the war, and he records, "I preached in the evening, but did not feel myself at liberty as in Troy." This city first appears on the annals of the M. E. Church for 1827, then connected with Waterford, with Samuel D. Ferguson as pastor. Up to this time it had been included in the Troy circuit. In 1828 the circuit (Lansingburg and Waterford) contained 135 members. Methodism is now well represented in this city. The Free Methodists have a society of about 25 members, 20 Sunday-school scholars, and $2000 church property. It is in the Troy Conference, and has 540 members, 350 Sunday-school scholars, and $31,000 church property. Laporte, Ind. (pop. 6195), the capital of Laporte County, is situated on the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad. Laporte mission appears first on the annals of the M. E. Church for 1832, with James Armstrong as pastor. The church was organized in 1833, and worship was held in private houses and in the court-house. In 1833 the mission embraced 140 members, but does not appear by name in the list of appointments. In 1834 a Laporte district was organized, of which R. Hargrave was presiding elder, and Laporte was included in the South Bend circuit. Laporte circuit was organized in 1835 and placed in charge of R. C. Meek, and had 436 members in 1836. A brick church was erected in 1837; rebuilt in 1850; enlarged in 1859 and 1873. From that time the growth of the church compares well with the increase of the population. It is in the Northwest Indiana Conference, and has 325 members, 275 Sunday-school scholars, and $18,000 church prop erty. The German M. E. Church, which built a church in 1856, has 125 members, 140 Sundayschool scholars, and $4000 church property. Large Minutes (English Wesleyan).--To many...show more

Product details

  • Paperback
  • 189 x 246 x 38mm | 1,306g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236795776
  • 9781236795779