The Cyclopaedia Volume 21

The Cyclopaedia Volume 21

By (author) 

List price: US$12.87

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1819 edition. Excerpt: ...three religious fraternities, called " The Guild of our Blessed Lady, the Guild of the Holy Trinity, and the _Chantry of Iohn of Louth." King Edward VI. alienated the funds of these guilds, and granted them for the purpose of erecting and endowing a free grammar school. The lands then produced 401. per annum, but are now let at ooI. One-half of the produce was granted for a head masteffls salary, one-fourth for the usher's, and the remainder for the perpetual maintenance of twelve poor women. The trustccs of this foundation were incorporated by the name of " The warden and fix aslsiislants of the town of Louth, and freeschool of king Edward VI. in Louth." Another free-school, on a very respectable scale, was founded in pursuanee of the will of Dr. Mapletoft, dean of Ely, bearin l7th, i677. The church of St. James is a siacious edisice, consisting of a nave, two aisles, with an elegant tower and spire at the west end. The cast end, which presents a fine elevation, exhibits alarge central window, having six upright mullions and varied tracery, with two lateral windows opening into the aisles. Internally the nave is separated from the aisles by octagonal columns, the alternate sides of which are relieved by single flutes. The chancel, which has an altar piece containing a picture of the Descent from the Cross by Williams, is of more modern date than the body of the church, and is probably coeval with tliejustly admired steeple. The latter was begun in the year 1501, and completed in fifteen years. The height was originally 360 feet; but the flat stone on the summit was blown off in 1587, and carried with it part of the building into the body of the church. The whole spire being blown down October.i1th, 1634, the present...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 130 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 7mm | 245g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236888715
  • 9781236888716