Columbus, Geo., from Its Selection as a Trading Town in 1827, to Its Partial Destruction by Wilson's Raid, in 1865

Columbus, Geo., from Its Selection as a Trading Town in 1827, to Its Partial Destruction by Wilson's Raid, in 1865

By (author) 

List price: US$24.72

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1874 edition. Excerpt: ...painters, 4 saddle and harness makers, 7 tinners, 16 tailors, 2 gunsmiths, 16 brickmakers and plasterers, 3 bakers, 2 coopers, 1 dyer and scourer, 1 hatter, 1 marble-cutter, 4 artists. The Finance Committee reported in March that the debts of the city which should be paid during the year, amounted to '$9,920, and the total necessary expenses were estimated at $26,100. The resources, including $9,000 from the bridge and $9,800 from taxes, were estimated at $21,175, showing a deficit of $4,925. Council levied the following taxes for the year: On white males between 12 and 60 $1 00; free males of color $6 00; on every $100 of negro slaves 25 cents; owned outside and working in city 75 cents; lawyers and physicians $4 00; on every $100 of money loaned 25 cents; merchandise 25 cents--excepting sugar, coifee, molasses, iron, bagging, rope or salt 12 cents; each negro offered for sale by trader $1 00; HEALTH or THE CITY. 29 every $100 invested in banks 25 cents; real estate 25 cents on every $100 of value, &c.; and an extra railroad tax of 2 per cent. upon real estate, for railroad purposes. Council elected as Fire Wardens, J. C. Ruse, 1st Ward; George Strupper, 2d; Wm. K. Schley, 3rd; John B. Strupper, 4th; L. W. Wells, 5th; J. M. Tarbox, 6th. ' On the night of June 21st, at 3 A. M., the livery stables of Hatcher, Leary & Co. were burned, with the adjacent carriage houses, &c., together with a large quantity of corn, fodder and other provender, and fifty valuable horses. The large building on the corner known as Shylock's Bank, as also the Episcopalian Church, were on fire several times but were put out by the fire companies, aided by citizens. Among the number who distinguished themselves were Mr. Hanserd and Capt. Van...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 132 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 7mm | 249g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236937171
  • 9781236937179