Collections of the Berkshire Historical and Scientific Society Volume 2
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1894 edition. Excerpt: ...at Lenox, and the Hon. Lester Filley, an active and honored layman then living in Otis. St. Paul's, Stockbridge, is a lineal child of Trinity church, Lenox. In 1834, Dr. Hyde, of Lenox, was made President of the Bank at Stockbridge, and removed thither. He immediately organized a parish. During eight years, services were held in a school house, and for one year in the Town house. After all this lapse of time, only $1400 in money and lumber could be procured in the town and vicinity for a church edifice. By the help of churchmen in Boston and New York, $2,000 more were collected, and a chapel was built after plans furnished by Upjohn. This building suggested the idea of the battened architecture, copied all over the country. A tower was built by the Rev. Dr. Pynchon, now President of Trinity College, and a clock was presented by G. P. R. James, the novelist. In 1871-2 a transept was added by the Rev. H. F. Allen, for the growing congregation. Here is another parish which now counts among its congregation many churchmen of wealth and influence, and its full share of the humble and the poor. St. George's church, Lee, organized in 1856, by the Hon. Lester Filley, took its name from St. George's church, New York, in consequence of liberal help from that church, through its Rector, the venerable Dr. Stephen H. Tyng. It has passed through the fire three times. First, the hall in which it worshipped, was burned. Next, two church edifices in succession, one of wood and the other of stone, were the victims of the flames. But in the merciful Providence of God, it has arisen each time, Phoenix-like, from its ashes, and stands to-day in new beauty, a stone structure of finished elegance. For many years its pastor was the Reverend Dr. George Chapman, ...
- 189 x 246 x 8mm | 268g
- 01 Apr 2013
- Miami Fl, United States
- black & white illustrations