Colbran's Hand Book and Directory for Tunbridge Wells

Colbran's Hand Book and Directory for Tunbridge Wells

By (author) 

List price: US$13.48

Currently unavailable

We can notify you when this item is back in stock

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1850 edition. Excerpt: ...as a prison; to the left, at the back of the Minstrels' Gallery, is a suite of apartments, called Lady Perry's. The park belonging to this mansion was formerly of immense extent, and reckoned amongst the largest and finest in the kingdom; being in some places four miles broad, and about ten or twelve miles round. Traces of the boundaries of it are met with at Leigh, to which no doubt it extended, as well as to South Park in the opposite direction. At present it contains upwards of 200 acres, well planted with oak, beech, and chestnut trees; and it is watered on the south side by the river Medway. A pleasant walk through the park brings you to a step-stile, upon crossing which, a short distance to the right is the oak already referred to, supposed to be the "Bear's Oak," which is twenty-seven feet in circumference at five feet from the ground. It is quite hollow, and measures inside fourteen feet; being ample room for ten or twelve people to stand within it. Near this is a fine piece of water called Lancup Well, where, in the forenoon of August 17th, 1799, Philip Shelley, Esq., then in his twenty-first year, was unfortunately drowned, whilst rowing about in an Indian canoe. Just beyond this, and immediately facing the principal entrance to the mansion, from which it can be seen, are some trees called "Lady Gamage's Bower" so named after Barbara Gamage, Countess of Leicester. Nearly adjoining this is a row of trees called "Sacharissa's Walk." Penshurst church is a venerable looking building, dedicated to St. John the Baptist. From its situation there can be little doubt but that it was once within the extensive park. There are several ancient monuments in the church of most distinguished families. In the churchyard...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 34 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 2mm | 82g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236585267
  • 9781236585264