Coade Stone

Coade Stone

By (author) 

List price: US$12.95

Currently unavailable

We can notify you when this item is back in stock

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

The Coade stone factory in London, which was active between 1769 and 1840, was owned and managed by Mrs Eleanor Coade, a remarkable Georgian business woman. Her firm produced all kinds of architectural ornaments and statues, which were used by leading Georgian architects of the day for the embellishment of town and country houses and other important buildings. Coade stone was fired clay made using a special formula, but it was marketed as 'artificial stone' since at that time stone was the preferred material for architectural decoration. This book charts the history of Coade stone, the techniques of production, the sculptors who provided designs, and the architects who used it.
show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 48 pages
  • 146 x 204 x 6mm | 117.94g
  • Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
  • Shire Publications
  • London, United Kingdom
  • English
  • colour and b/w ills
  • 0747806446
  • 9780747806448
  • 1,546,456

About Hans Van Lemmen

Hans van Lemmen taught for many years at Leeds Metroplitan University. He is an established author on the history of tiles and has lectured on the subject in Britain and elsewhere. He has written a number of books on tiles for the Shire Album series and is a found member and presently publications editor of the British Tiles and Architectural Ceramics Society.
show more

Table of contents

Mrs Eleanor Coade Production techniques Products and styles Sculptors and architects Plates to visit Further reading
show more