Clonmore, County Carlow

Clonmore, County Carlow

Edited by 

List price: US$56.00

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online. Clonmore (Irish: Chluain Mh r, meaning "Mogue's large meadow") is a village in County Carlow, Ireland. It is located 3 miles south of Hacketstown and 9 miles east of Tullow in the north-east corner of County Carlow. lonmore was named after St Mogue who, around the year 530, established a religious community and built a monastery at the location.The significant feature of the village is Clonmore Castle, this castle was not mentioned until the 14th century, but the shape of the trefoil window in the south wall shows that it was built probably towards the end of the 13th century. The castle is nearly square in plan with rectangular towers at the southern sides of the courtyard. Clonmore was captured in 1516 by the Earl of Kildare and in 1598 by the Earl of Ormond. It changed hands several times and was finally taken by Oliver Cromwell's forces under Colonel Hewson in 1650. Today much of the castle has been removed for construction of local amenities such as the neighbouring hall and former schoolhouse.
show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 120 pages
  • 152 x 229 x 7mm | 186g
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 6136701960
  • 9786136701967