Cincinnati and Vicinity; An Alphabetically Arranged Index and Descriptive Guide to Places, Institutions, Societies, Amusements, Resorts, Etc., in and about the City of Cincinnati

Cincinnati and Vicinity; An Alphabetically Arranged Index and Descriptive Guide to Places, Institutions, Societies, Amusements, Resorts, Etc., in and about the City of Cincinnati

By (author) 

List price: US$7.33

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1898 edition. Excerpt: ...to 15162, 583.04. This includes not only the support of the patients and the salaries of the oflicers and employees, but all repairs and additions to the plant. It has a total area of 106 acres. The frontage of the building is I, OIO% feet, while the north and the south wings have a depth of 283 feet and 374.7 feet respectively. Accommodates over 1,000 patients. Total cost, with recent improvements, $1,197,128, all of which was paid by the County of Hamilton. On October 31, 1897, there were 490 male and 562 female patients in the hospital, making a total of 1,052. Average cost per inmate in 1897, $153. Theatrical performances for the entertainment of the insane every two weeks. Ball every Friday night from 8 to IO o'clock. Light occupations, amusements and surroundings have entirely changed the manifestations of insanity, and also the general character of these institutions, which are not, as commonly supposed, places of confinement, but hospitals for the treatment of the insane, as well as homes for the incurables. Recognizing this fact, the Ohio Legislature has changed the name of the insane asylums to hospitals for the insane. The hospital has 25 wards, in which are employed two assistant physicians, 74 male and 60 female attendants. Visitors admitted only on Thursdays from 9 A. M. to 5 P. M. The county maintains the property, which it owns; the patients are maintained by the State. The Board of Directors of Longview consists of five members, two of whom are appointed by the Governor, and one each by the Common Pleas Court, the Probate Judge, and the County Commissioners. They hold oflice for five years, and are not removable except for cause, which gives the board a fixed tenure, and makes it free from sudden political changes....show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 56 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 3mm | 118g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236773748
  • 9781236773746