The Church and Churchyard of Cullen

The Church and Churchyard of Cullen

By (author) 

List price: US$14.41

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks


This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1883 edition. Excerpt: ...into two Provincial Synods--(1) Bamf, containing the Presbyteries of Bamff, Deare, and Kildrimmie; (2) Aberdeen, containing the Presbyteries of Aberdeen, Innerowrie, and Kincardine O'Neil. But it was not till 1586 that Presbyteries were fully established. The Diocese was then divided into the Synods of Banff and Aberdeen, consisting of the Presby () The following extract from the Burgh Eecords (1638) is instructive: --" The1 bailzeis and counsall of Cullan ordanes the banks and braes to be rowpit on Soneday next efternoone, efter ye sermon, to the effect that ye saids banks and braes may be set the said day to theis quha will give maist for thame." teries of Bamff, Deere, Innerowrie, Aberdene, and Kincardine. The date of the union of the Synods is unknown. The Synod of Banff, in 1586, included Rathwen, Foresken, Dundurche, Fordice, Cullene, Deskfuird, Orgowthill, Banff, Innerbundyne, &c. In that year it was proposed to erect a Presbytery of Fordyce. In 1606, " Presbytery of Cullen (or Fordyce)" occurs in the General Assembly roll. The "Presbytery of Banff" also appears at the same time. In 1627, George Douglas was Moderator of the Presbytery of Culane. In 1638, the General Assembly of Glasgow appointed the Provincial Assembly or Synod of Aberdeen to consist of the Presbyteries of Aberdeen, Kincardine, Alford, Garioch, Ellon, Deer, Turriff, and Fordyce, which arrangement has continued to the present day, except that for some years after 1690, the number of ministers being very few, they formed only one Presbytery, but, in 1697, their numbers increasing to fifteen, they formed three Presbyteries, and a few years afterwards the former number of eight Presbyteries1) George Lesley (1642-1647) was the third more

Product details

  • Paperback | 64 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 3mm | 132g
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236808142
  • 9781236808141