Century Club of American Newspapers

Century Club of American Newspapers

By (author) 

List price: US$15.84

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks


This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1909 edition. Excerpt: ...and it is one of the best-known weekly newspapers of New York State. In Goshen there exists to-day the same incongruity of names that once made St. Louis remarkable. The Democrat is the leading Republican paper, while the leading Democratic paper_is The Goshen independent Republican. Established 1785. Ashbel Stoddard and Charles R. Webster are the names of the two men who founded The Hudson Gazette, the first number of which made its appearance April 7, 1785. They had been compositors on The Connecticut Courant, at Hartford, and, leaving there. had located at Hudson, which 'at that period of the country's history was viewed asaparticularly bright portion of the great land of promise. It was Stoddard who was first taken with the idea of establishing a newspaper at Hudson--one, no doubt, in his mind, that should be as great as The Courant itself. Stoddard was in Hudson with a small book store and printing ofiice a year before The Gazette was launched. Before making the venture be summoned Webster, and, as neither had money or printing material of the kind needed to print a newspaper, they started in on an equal footing of experience and energy. Webster, however. withdrew at the end of the first year, and Stoddard remained as owner and editor until 1821, when the paper was discontinued. In 1824 a band of Spartan Jeffersonian Democrats organized a company and purchased the paper, employing John W. Edmonds, afterwards a Justice of the Supreme Court of New York, as the editor. In 1834 The Gazette passed into the hands of P. Dean Carrique, who assigned it in 1851 to Stephen L. Magoun. it was published a short time by Henry N. Hopkins, and on September 7, 1857, M. Parker Williams and his brother, R. F. Williams, purchased it. In 1860 R. F....show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 28 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 2mm | 68g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236949994
  • 9781236949998