Excerpt from Centennial Anniversary of West Branch Monthly Meeting of Friends, Established 1st Month 7th, 1807: Held at West Milton, Ohio, 10th Month, 11th and 12th, 1907
Meetings. It appears that Chester Monthly Meeting was a self-constituted Monthly Meeting opened in 1681 for the accommodation of the Friends west of the Del aware River.
It thus appears that the line of descent of West Branch Monthly Meeting is from and through the following Monthly Meetings established in the years given Chester 1681 and Concord 1684, both in Dela ware County, Pennsylvania; Newark, 1686 and New Garden 1718, both 'in Chester County, Pennsylvania; Nottingham 1730, in Cecil County, Maryland; Hope well 1735, in Frederick County, Virginia; Westland i7s5, Fayette County, Pennsylvania; Miami 1803, Warren County, Ohio; West Branch 1807, Miami County, Ohio.
From the foregoing we might conclude that West Branch Monthly Meeting was a child of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, but we learn that, in 1790, by a new arrangement, the meetings in Western Pennsylvania and Virginia, which had belonged to Philadelphia were transferred to the Yearly Meeting for Maryland, which was thereafter to be held at Baltimore, which seems then to have taken the name of Baltimore Yearly Meeting. Since the Redstone, Pennsylvania, Meeting belonged to Baltimore Yearly Meeting in 1803, all the Friends' Meetings west of the Alleghenies are to be reckoned descended from Baltimore Yearly Meeting.
About the Publisher
Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com
This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.show more