Census of the Philippine Islands; Taken Under the Direction of the Philippine Commission in the Year 1903, in Four Volumes Volume 3

Census of the Philippine Islands; Taken Under the Direction of the Philippine Commission in the Year 1903, in Four Volumes Volume 3

List price: US$11.44

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1905 edition. Excerpt: ...for the education of the children of Spaniards." Father Chirino secured from the governor of the islands, Don Tello de Guzman, the permission necessary for the erection of the college, after the royal audiencia and the ecclesiastical and secular chapters had expressed an opinion on the subject. Father Luis Gomez was appointed the first director, and on August 25, 1601, the college was formally inaugurated amidst great rejoicing in this city. On this occasion there were admitted 13 youths, among whom figured the nephew of the governor of the archipelago and a son of the senior associate justice of the audiencia in these islands. In the beginning the expenses connected with the personnel and supplies of the college were defrayed by the parents or guardians of the pupils, but contributions and donations of residents, the legacy of the adelantado of Mindanao, Rodriguez de Figueroa, and the gifts of His Majesty the King soon gave great importance to this institution, which increased the number of inmates, extended the building it occupied, and created new chairs. About 1636, in addition to the natural sciences, philosophy and theology were taught, and even academic degrees were conferred, thus competing with the University of Santo Tomas, with which it had some litigation regarding the right of conferring degrees. In the year 1722 the Catholic King, Philip V, conferred the title of Royal College upon the institution, and in 1734 it was granted the right to teach canonical and Roman law, the same as the University of Santo Tomas, although, judging from the documents of those times now in existence, no degrees in these branches were conferred. The institution continued thus brilliantly until 1768, when, the fathers of the society...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 108 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 6mm | 209g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236620070
  • 9781236620071
  • 2,236,739