Catching Breath : The Making and Unmaking of Tuberculosis
In Catching Breath, Kathryn Lougheed asks what has made Mycobacterium tuberculosis such a successful bacterium, and how we can use this knowledge to consign it to the history books. We follow its path through the ages, from its time gathering strength as a latent infection of hunter-gatherers to its rise alongside human urbanisation and industrialisation, and learn just how connected human history is to TB - from an Ancient Egyptian murder mystery and the rumours of the first vampires to a tragedy set in the Amazon rainforest.
Catching Breath - the story of one of the world's oldest diseases - looks at the hidden biology behind the interactions of Mycobacterium tuberculosis with its human host, and shows how drug resistance, the HIV epidemic, poverty and inequality work together to ensure that TB remains one of the most serious problems in world medicine.
If we can understand the makings of TB, then maybe we can find a way to unmake it.
- Hardback | 272 pages
- 135 x 216 x 25.4mm | 399g
- 05 Sep 2017
- Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Bloomsbury Sigma
- London, United Kingdom
Other books in this series
20 Jun 2017
28 Jun 2016
26 Apr 2016
27 Mar 2018
Table of contents
2. Growing Up Together- How Mycobacterium tuberculosis and Homo sapiens co-evolved
3. Populating the Planet- How TB spread around the world, and continues to do so today
4. Altered Evolution - How the human immune system has been shaped through natural selection by TB
5. Leaving Scars - TB doesn't induce natural immunity, so vaccination doesn't work
6. The Patient Pathogen - Mycobacterium tuberculosis can enter into a state of hibernation in the human lung
7. The Drugs Don't Work - How do you kill something that is barely alive?
8. Killing the Unkillable - New drugs for bad bugs
9. Third-world London - How TB is creeping in through the cracks
10. Pale and Beautiful - Changing attitudes towards TB
10. My Cat Infected Me with TB - TB in the news
11. The People Behind the Disease - Personal stories of TB survival and recovery
12. A Losing Battle? - How are we going to win the war against TB?
About Kathryn Lougheed
@ilovebacteria / germzoo.blogspot.co.uk/