The Castles and Abbeys of Yorkshire; A Historical and Descriptive Account of the Most Celebrated Ruins in the County
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1855 edition. Excerpt: ...himself from the convent for more than a year. Defence and caution were now deemed requisite, and the abbot solicited the king to allow him to build a wall on each unprotected side of the abbey. The request was granted; and hence arose the high wall adjoining to Bootham and Mary gate, the principal part of which yet remains. It was constructed as-a complete fortification, with battlements and a wooden gallery within. Again, on Martinmas day, 1315, the citizens, at the instigation of Nicholas Fleming, and one Sizevaus, filled up the ditches adjoining the abbey walls, which had been made as a defence against them, and the plundering Scots; and from that time till 1353, animosities continued to exist; but in the latter year, articles of agreement were finally settled between the city and the abbey, through the mediation of archbishop Thurstan. This religious fraternity were black monks, of the order of St. Benedict, and had a psalter compiled particularly for their devotion; but the archbishop of York, for the time being, had power to visit them once a year, for the purpose of correcting or reforming, by the council of the brethren, and by five or six of the principal canons, any abuses that might be introduced. The abbot of St. Mary's was, however, little inferior to the archbishop of the province; beina; and in 1717, the corporation of Beverley was allowed to carry away, during the space of three years, as much stone as might be required for the repair of Beverley minster. And so little care was taken to preserve the remains of the church, that a sacrilegious Goth was suffered to erect a kiln, and burn its stones into lime. This is the lowest point of degradation to which any building can be brought; the owls and bats in the ruins of Babylon are...
- Paperback | 90 pages
- 189 x 246 x 5mm | 177g
- 04 Jul 2012
- Miami Fl, United States
- Illustrations, black and white