Bulletin - Wisconsin Geological and Natural History Survey Volume 58

Bulletin - Wisconsin Geological and Natural History Survey Volume 58

List price: US$6.45

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1921 edition. Excerpt: ...supplied limestone used for flux in the iron smelters at Bay View. Wauwatosa township has some of the most important limestone quarries in the state and also for a long time several of the leading brick yards. However, it is rather a place of homes than a place of factories. North Milwaukee North Milwaukee is a manufacturing suburb of over 3,000 population with several plants of considerable size, including two bridge companies, a tannery, and factories for the manufacture of automobile bodies, stoves and machinery. AGRICULTURE IN MILWAUKEE COUNTY The present Milwaukee County of 241 square miles is the remnant of a much larger county which has been cut down on several occasions. Nine entire counties and parts of three others have been made from the original Milwaukee County (Fig 3). It is now one of the small counties of the state having an average width of only 10 miles, and a north-south length of 24 miles. About 75 per cent of the land of the county is devoted to farms; cities, towns, roads, etc., occupying the remaining 25 per cent. The 2,500 farms in the county are small, averaging only 47 acres each, but fully 85 per cent of the farm land is improved land. In a region surrounding a large city like Milwaukee, farming tends more and more to become intensive, and land tends to advance to high values. The demand for fresh vegetables, poultry, eggs, and fruit leads to garden farming. This is to considerable extent true in Milwaukee County, and vegetables form the largest item among its farm products. Farm Products The black soil of the old swamps is ideal for celery. The sand and gravel land of the glacial outwash is particularly suited to potatoes which form the largest crop of the county (a million bushels in a good year). Every...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 70 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 4mm | 141g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236917944
  • 9781236917942