Bulletin - Alaska Agricultural Experiment Stations Volume 1-17

Bulletin - Alaska Agricultural Experiment Stations Volume 1-17

List price: US$16.69

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1902 edition. Excerpt: ... by J. C. Smith. At Unalaklik, A. E. Carlson stated that a few cows had been kept there since 1890 and that haymaking was difficult. At Holy Cross Mission, on the Yukon, a bull, one cow, and a heifer calf were maintained. LOCAL CONSUMPTION OF DAIRY PRODUCTS AND BEEF Alaska imports from the States more than $1,000,000 worth of dairy products annually. The dairy products imported in 1925 were valued at $1,243,871. Under economic conditions in many parts of Alaska such products can be brought into and distributed over the Territory at less cost than they can be produced locally, notwithstanding the abundance of available native feed for dairy cattle. Such was the situation in Alaska when the experiment stations began work with livestock; such is the situation to-day; and such it will be until dairy products can be distributed locally with greater facility and at less cost than is now the case. Dairy products in the form of butter are now produced successfully in the Matanuska Valley, and there is reason to believe that butter can be produced at less cost in this region than it can be shipped from the States. Half a million dollars' worth of beef is annually shipped from the States to Alaska. In 1925 beef valued at $575,395 was imported. INTRODUCTION OF THE GALLOWAY BREED DEVELOPMENT PRIOR TO 1912 In 1S99 an experiment station was opened at Kenai, on the Kenai Peninsula, Cook Inlet, because the place seemed to give promise for successful agricultural development. The first cow of the station was purchased in 1902 from Ivan Bortnowski and was of Siberian origin. A second purchase of the same origin was made in 1903. By 1905 the station had four cows, seven calves, and a yoke of oxen. The animals were maintained on pasture in summer and on hay...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 138 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 8mm | 259g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 123691032X
  • 9781236910325