Bulletin Volume 295-326

Bulletin Volume 295-326

List price: US$10.57

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1920 edition. Excerpt: ..."the general supervision, management, and control" of the Maine Agricultural Experiment Station. The farm is in the town of Presque Isle, about 2 miles south of the village, on the main road to Houlton. The Bangor and Aroostook railroad crosses the farm The farm contains about 275 acres, about half of which is cleared. The eight room house provides an office, and home for the farm superintendent. A school house on a lot adjoining the farm was presented to the State by the town of Presque Isle and after being remodeled serves as a boarding house for the help. A greenhouse and a potato storage house have been erected at the farm by the U. S. Department of Agriculture for use in cooperative work on potato breeding. The large barn affords storage for hay and grain and has a large potato storage house in the basement. Highmoor Farm. The State Legislature of 1909 purchased a farm upon which the Maine Agricultural Experiment Station was directed to "conduct scientific investigations in orcharding, corn and other farm crops." The farm is situated largely in the town of Monmouth. It is on the Farmington Branch of the Maine Central Railroad, 2 miles from Leeds Junction. A flag station, "Highmoor," is on the farm. The farm contains 225 acres, about 200 of which are in orchards, fields, and pastures. There are in the neighborhood of 3.000 apple trees upon the place which have been set from 20 to 30 years. The house has 2 stories with a large wing, and contains about 15 rooms. It is well arranged for the Station offices and for the home of the farm superintendent. A substantially constructed building for apple packing was erected in 1912. The removal of the crossbred herd from the University to Highmoor necessitated...show more

Product details

  • Paperback
  • 189 x 246 x 16mm | 540g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236803302
  • 9781236803306