This classic tale of a beloved dog takes place in Florida's early days. Join Bruno on his adventures as he explores the wilds of South Florida with his human friends, Judith and Julius. Bruno will win your heart as he has with countless others for more than a century. This illustrated edition of Bruno has been authorized by the estate of Byrd Spilman Dewey and has been completely re-typeset and contains the bonus postscript story to Bruno, "Rebecca" not found in any other edition of Bruno.
- Paperback | 108 pages
- 152.4 x 228.6 x 6.86mm | 217.72g
- 11 May 2015
- Createspace Independent Publishing Platform
- Illustrations, black and white
About Byrd Spilman Dewey
Byrd Spilman Dewey was an accomplished author, conservationist and pioneer developer, witnessing Florida's development from 1881 until her passing in 1942. Mrs. Dewey's accomplishments across multiple disciplines are well chronicled. She was a frequent contributor to magazines such as Good Housekeeping, Vogue and the Christian Union. She was the trailblazer for women journalists in South Florida, becoming the first columnist for The Tropical Sun, the earliest South Florida newspaper. Her column The Sitting Room inspired and counseled pioneer women on running a household in the harsh South Florida environment. She continued her literary career with the 1899 publication of Bruno, the first national best-selling book to be written in South Florida. Seeing Florida's great potential, she began investing in land, an unusual occupation for a woman of her time. The land she purchased near Lake Worth in 1892 was eventually platted by her and her husband in 1898 as the Town of Boynton, making her the only woman to plat and found a town in the to-be Palm Beach County. She continued her work well into her 60s by becoming the Florida Audubon Society's field secretary, traveling the state making speeches in favor of bird sanctuaries and humane treatment of animals. The City of Boynton Beach has recently paid tribute to Mrs. Dewey and her husband by renaming a city park in their honor, located in the town's original plat.