Brief Sketch of the Origin and History of the State Penitentiary for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, at Philadelphia Volume 50,

Brief Sketch of the Origin and History of the State Penitentiary for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, at Philadelphia Volume 50,

By (author) 

List price: US$12.97

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1872 edition. Excerpt: ... one coverlet. The bedstead or bunk is so constructed that the prisoner can rear it against the wall and fasten it with a staple, which gives him more room in the cell. Each cell is provided with water by means of a stopcock. The bedstead now in use is constructed of wood. The iron bedstead and hammock were found inexpedient. There were three hundred and eleven cells completed on the first day of january, 1835; all the rest are nearly fitted for the reception of prisoners. The edifice is calculated to contain in all about six hundred and fifty convicts. The three blocks first constructed are one story; the other four are two stories each. The close approximation of the level of the edifice to the surface of the public reservoirs at Fairmount, has produced some difficulty in obtaining an ample supply of water. That difliculty has been removed by the following contrivance. A well of thirty feet in diameter, and about twenty.five feet in depth from the surface of the ground, is duly and securely walled up and arched over with bricks; contiguous to this well a building of substantial masonry has been erected of forty feet by thirty.four feet; an arched basement contains the furnaces and boilers over which is placed a steam engine of six horse power, by means of which the water will be drawn from the large well, and 'forced into a reservoir, erected also of substantial masonry, north of and adjoining the last mentioned building. This reservoir is about forty feet in diameter and ten in height above the surface of the ground, and contains about seventy.six thousand six hundred gallons of water supplied by the F airmount Water Works. From this reservoir the lower stories of the cell buildings and the privy pipes belonging thereto receive...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 46 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 3mm | 100g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236773993
  • 9781236773999