Excerpt from Brief History of the Massachusetts Agricultural College: Semicentennial, 1917
HE first member of the faculty was Levi Stockbridge, who was elected farm superintendent and instructor in agriculture in 1866; and at the meeting Of the trustees on August 7, 1867, when William S. Clark was elected president, Ebenezer Snell was elected professor of mathematics, and Henry H. Goodell professor of modern languages. These four men composed the faculty of the col lege the first year it was in actual Operation. Early in 1867 President Chadbourne, William S. Clark and Levi Stockbridge met on the lp ing hill south of the ravine, and decided on the location of the south dormitory, the chemical laboratory, and the south boarding house. It was voted to Open the college for those who might wish to enter the freshman class, October 2, 1867, and it was only by the greatest effort that the buildings were completed and furniture procured, so that the term commenced on that date.
The buildings that were erected when the first students appeared upon the college premises were: the south dormitory, a boarding house on the north Side of the ravine, a chemical laboratory, and the botanic museum near the present plant houses. The south dormitory was a building one hundred by fifty feet, four stories in height, and contained twenty-three rooms intended to accommodate forty-six students, together with two recitation rooms, a reading room and library, and two large rooms occupied by the state cabinet of speci mens Of the natural history and geology of Massachusetts. These had been removed to Amherst from the State House at Boston, and con tained the geological specimens collected by Dr. Hitchcock, as well as the valuable collection of birds and animals made by Secretary Flint. The chemical laboratory, which presented a barn-like appearance and a part of which was used at first as a gymnasium, was fifty-seven by forty-six feet, and two stories in height. The Durfee plant houses, also built in 1867, were an elegant group of glass buildings, which.
About the Publisher
Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com
This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.show more