Bradshaw's Illustrated Guide [Afterw.] Bradshaw's Guide Through Paris and Its Environs

Bradshaw's Illustrated Guide [Afterw.] Bradshaw's Guide Through Paris and Its Environs

By (author) 

List price: US$19.99

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1855 edition. Excerpt: ...in Notre Dame, but which was displaced during the revolution of 1793. The church is surrounded by chapels, highly ornamented. In that dedicated to the Virgin is a marble statue of the Virgin, executed by Pigal; the sides of the chapel are adorned by some good bas-reliefe. In the same chapel is the tomb of Colbert, by Coysevox. The organ over the doorway has recently been built, and is considered one of the finest in Paris. Either of the streets leading out from the west of the market will lead us to the Halle aux Bles and Fonta-me Medicis. The Halle aux Bhfe, or corn market, is a large circular building, 126 feet in diameter, and vaulted by a vast dome. It is built on the spot where anciently stood the Hotel de Soissons, a palace of Catherine de Medicis. This immense structure, which is divided into a gallery of 28 arches, is capable of holding 30,000 sacks of corn. From the gallery, running round the building above the arches, a curious echo may be heard. The only relic of the residence of Catherine de Medicis now existing is a Doric pillar, 95 BASQUE DE FRANCE--PLACE DBS VIOXOIRES--THE BOULEVARDS. feet high, situated on the south side of the hall. It was erected in 1572 as an observatory for tha princess. Two-thirds of the height thore is an ingenious sun-dial, constructed by a canon of the Church of St. Genevieve. This dial may be reached by a stairoase in the inside. At the base of the column is a fountain. The building is open to the public. Passing down by the Rue Coquillie're, and turning to the right on entering the Rue Croix des Petits Champs, we shall have opposite to us the Basque de France--This building was formerly the Hotel of the Courts of Toulouse. In 1720, it was rebuilt, after designs by Mansard, for the Duke of Vrttliere, who...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 76 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 4mm | 154g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236489403
  • 9781236489401