Bradshaw's Guide Through London and Its Environs. Corrected and Revised by H.K. Jackson

Bradshaw's Guide Through London and Its Environs. Corrected and Revised by H.K. Jackson

By (author) 

List price: US$21.52

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1861 edition. Excerpt: ...of King George!. crowns the steeple. Russell Squabe;. containing a statue, by Westmacott, of Traucis, Duke of Bedford, was built in 1803. In Great Coram Street is the. Uussell Institution, founded in 1808 AS a lecture-hall and library, and possessing Haydon's celebrated picture of the Retreat of the Ten Thousand, presented in 1836 by the Duke of Bedford. Queen's Square, adjacent, was planted in the reign of Queen Anne, and contains a statue of that Queen. TorringTon and Woburn Squares are also great ornaments to the neighbourhood. In Gower Street is University College Hospital, founded in 1833. The first stone of the north wing was laid by Lord Brougham in 1846. Nearly opposite is the London UniVersity College, founded in 1828, and built by Wilkins, the architect of the National Gallery. It is furnished with every professional capability for prosecuting studies in science and the classics, and for the benefit of persons who, by their religious opinions, were precluded from taking degrees in the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge. In 1850, the University had on its books 546 graduates, and 810 matriculated under-graduates. The building extends a length of 4 20 feet, and has a richly ornamented Corinthian portico, ascended by a flight of steps. Regent's Parti.--Enteringthe New Koad, and turning to the left, we reach the Regent's Park, consisting of about 400 acres, occupying the site of Old Marylebone Fields. The park and the surrounding crescents were laid out in 1812, from a plan by Nash, and the ornamental plantations, and the broad sweeping avenues that intersect the greensward in all directions, were further improved and extended in 1833 and 1838. Around are terraces of striking architectural magnificence, and the outer road forms an...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 126 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 7mm | 240g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 123663389X
  • 9781236633897