Br Standard Class 7 70048 the Territorial Army 1908-1958
Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online. 70048 The Territorial Army 1908-1958 was a British Railways BR standard class 7 steam locomotive, named after the Territorial Army, a part of the British Army. She was built at a cost of 23,445 at Crewe Works being completed on 8 July 1954. She was allocated a BR1D 'high sided' tender number 982 and allocated to Holyhead depot. Initially unnamed, it wasn't until 23 July 1958 when she was given her title by the Duke of Norfolk. It was probably no coincidence that the engine's driver on the day was Fred Brookes, himself a former Territorial. At the naming ceremony, Mr David Blee, General Manager of the London Midland Region, recognised that with the increasing use of diesel haulage it was likely that 70048 would not remain in service for much longer and that the name The Territorial Army 1908-1958 would be transferred to a diesel-electric locomotive although has not yet happened.
- Paperback | 112 pages
- 152 x 229 x 7mm | 177g
- 22 Jul 2011
- United States