Boston Illustrated; Containing Full Descriptions of the City and Its Immediate Suburbs, Its Public Buildings and Institutions, Business Edifices, Parks and Avenues, Statues, Harbor and Islands, Etc., Etc. with Numerous Historical Allusions

Boston Illustrated; Containing Full Descriptions of the City and Its Immediate Suburbs, Its Public Buildings and Institutions, Business Edifices, Parks and Avenues, Statues, Harbor and Islands, Etc., Etc. with Numerous Historical Allusions

By (author) 

List price: US$19.99

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1886 edition. Excerpt: ... in the Old South Church in 1712, and the ancient custom was observed up to the year 1872. In 1876 the Old South Society sold the church, to be torn down and replaced by commercial buildings. But certain Bostonians, loath to see such a sacrilege, bought the ancient edifice, and the land on which it stood, for about 3430,000, a large portion of which has been raised and paid, by private efforts. The church is now a loan museum of curious historical relics, Revolutionary weapons, flags, quaint old furniture, portraits of the New England fathers, and other interesting objects. It is open daily, and the entrance-fees go toward the. preservation-fund. The Province House was on Washington Street near the Old South, nearly opposite the head of Milk Street, and had a handsome lawn in front, embellished with oak-trees. It was a dignified brick building three stories high, with a long flight of stone steps leading up to a portico, from which the viceroys used to address the people. The edifice was erected in 1679, and in 1715 was bought by the Province as a residence for its governors, being well fitted therefor by the size and splendor of its interior and the agreeableness of its surroundings. Here Shute, Burnet, Shirley, Pownall, Bernard, Gage, and Sir William Howe held their vice-regal courts. After the siege of Boston the building was occupied by State offices, and in 1811 it was given in endowment to the Massachusetts General Hospital, whose trustees leased the estate to David Greenough for ninety-nine years. The new lessee erected a block of stores in front, and the Province House ultimately became a negro-minstrel hall. In 1864 it was burned, and only the walls were left standing, which are now covered with mastic, and serve as the exterior of a new...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 54 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 3mm | 113g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236541901
  • 9781236541901