The Book of the Thames; From Its Rise to Its Fall

The Book of the Thames; From Its Rise to Its Fall

By (author) 

List price: US$23.84

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1877 edition. Excerpt: ...as a banqueting-room for the Knights of the Garter, when they met to celebrate the festival of their patron annually at Windsor. Tho old seal of the warden and college of tho chapel of St. George, at Windsor, is curious, as depicting the king kneeling to the patron saint of England. It has the minutiae of detail which gives so much interest to these early works. At this time the festival was celebrated with tourney and processional display; many noble foreigners were invited to be present, and the utmost splendour of feudal pomp was lavished on the ceremony. For more than two centuries feasts of this kind were annually held at Windsor. The new statutes of the order, made by Henry VIII., precluded tho necessity of holding the great feast hero; and in the reign of Elizabeth it was arranged to be held wherever the court happened to be. So showr were these displays, that knights-companions were allowed to bring fifty followers; and admission to the order has always been considered one of Edward III. and St. George. the highest honours an English sovereign can bestow. Their number (exclusive of foreign princes) is limited to twenty-five. The stalls of the sovereign and the knights-companions of the Garter are situated in the choir of St. George's Chapel. Each stall is enriched with carving, and behind is the armorial bearings of each knight, and above the silken banner emblazoned with his arms. The royal stall is on the right of the entrance, and is distinguished by a large banner of velvet, mantled with silk. The tomb-house now used as a royal burial vault was originally designed by Wolsey for himself. It was fitted as a chapel by James II., and, after his abdication, allowed to decay, until George III., in the year 1800, gave orders that it should...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 150 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 8mm | 281g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236512332
  • 9781236512338