Bolton Hall

Bolton Hall

Edited by 

List price: US$56.00

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online. Bolton Hall is a historic American Craftsman era stone building in Tujunga, Los Angeles County, California. Built in 1913, Bolton Hall was originally used as a community center for the Utopian community of Los Terrenitos. From 1920 until 1957, it was used as an American Legion hall, the San Fernando Valley's second public library, Tujunga City Hall, and a jail. In 1957, the building was closed. For more than 20 years, Bolton Hall remained vacant and was the subject of debates over demolition and restoration. Since 1980, the building has been operated by the Little Landers Historical Society as a local history museum. In the early 1900s, the area now known as Tujunga was undeveloped land, the former Rancho Tujunga, owned by M.V. Hartranft. In 1913, William Ellsworth Smythe purchased the land to form a new Utopian community called Los Terrenitos. Smythe was the leader of the Utopian Little Landers movement and had already established colonies in Idaho and San Ysidro, California. Smythe advocated the principle that families settling on an acre or two of land could support themselves and create a flourishing community. The town of Tujunga was sold to settlers at $800 for an acre of lanshow more

Product details

  • Paperback | 108 pages
  • 152 x 229 x 7mm | 168g
  • Equ Press
  • United States
  • English
  • 6135904418
  • 9786135904413