Barnstaple Town Railway Station

Barnstaple Town Railway Station

Edited by 

List price: US$48.00

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online. Barnstaple Town was an intermediate station on the L&SWR line to Ilfracombe. The station replaced Barnstaple Quay - opened in 1854, and renamed Barnstaple Town in 1886 - which had been located on the Junction side of the Commercial Road crossing, a short distance up-line. The total cost of rebuilding the station in its present location was about 6000, of which 2000 was contributed by the L&B. Opened on 16 May 1898 to serve as the connection to the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway (L&B), a narrow gauge line that ran through Exmoor from Barnstaple to Lynton and Lynmouth in North Devon, a distance by rail of almost 20 miles. Both lines came under Southern Railway ownership in 1923. The L&B closed in 1935. The main line closed, along with the station, in October 1970.show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 100 pages
  • 152 x 229 x 6mm | 159g
  • Junct
  • United States
  • English
  • 6135741551
  • 9786135741551