The Baptists and the National Centenary; A Record of Christian Work, 1776-1876

The Baptists and the National Centenary; A Record of Christian Work, 1776-1876

By (author) 

List price: US$24.51

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1876 edition. Excerpt: ...Rev. D. Read, LL. D., President of the College, to the chair of Evidences of Christianity and Pastoral Theology. In the year 1869, Dr. Pattison resigned; and in the year 1870, Professor Mitchell. Hence the Department was partially suspended until the following year, when the Rev. N. M. Wood, Dl D., was made Professor of Systematic Theology and History of Doctrines, and the Rev. James M. Stifler, Professor of Biblical Literature and Interpretation. Dr. Wood closed his labors in 1874, and Professor Stifler in 1875. The present Theological Faculty consists of Rev. A. A. Kendrick, D. D., President of the College, and Acting Professor of Systematic Theology, Rev.. Bulkley, D.D., Professor of Church History and Church Polity, and Professor. C. C. Clarke, Instructor in Hebrew. Two chairs in this Department are endowed. The whole number of students who have been connected with this Department, is eighty. Of these thirty-one have graduated from the three years' course, and forty-nine have taken a partial course, more or less thorough and extensive. The school is believed to have rendered valuable service, though in a quiet manner, to the cause of ministerial education. i The BAPTIST UNION THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY at Chicago entered upon its work, fully organized, Oct. 2d, 1867. But the Baptist Theological Union, by which it was founded, was incorporated under a general law, Aug. 22d, 1863, and chartered by the Legislature of Illi nois, Feb. 16th, 1865. Its object was to found, endow, support, and direct an institution for theological instruction, and thus promote the cause of ministerial education. Under its patronage Rev. Nathaniel Colver, D. D., gave instruction to a few students in 1865. The next year he was assisted by Professor. C. C. Clark...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 130 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 7mm | 245g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236808312
  • 9781236808318