Auditor of Accounts' Annual Report of the Receipts and Expenditures of the City of Boston and the County of Suffolk, State of Massachusetts, for the Financial Year 1873-73

Auditor of Accounts' Annual Report of the Receipts and Expenditures of the City of Boston and the County of Suffolk, State of Massachusetts, for the Financial Year 1873-73 : May 1, 1872, to April 30, 1873 (Both Included) (Classic Reprint)

Free delivery worldwide

Available. Dispatched from the UK in 3 business days
When will my order arrive?

Description

Excerpt from Auditor of Accounts' Annual Report of the Receipts and Expenditures of the City of Boston and the County of Suffolk, State of Massachusetts, for the Financial Year 1873-73: May 1, 1872, to April 30, 1873 (Both Included) New chapel and workshops for house OF correc tion, south boston. - This building was erected during the summer and fall of 187 2, to take the place of the chapel which was destroyed by fire. It is 60 x 92 with a projec tion on the front of 16 feet, by 24 feet in width. The strue ture is three stories in height, with a basement under the whole. It is a plain, substantial building of brick, without stone trimming of any kind, except underpinning, steps, and window-sills; the window-heads in all cases being segmental arches of brick. The main building is covered with a high hipped slated roof, surmounted by a large ventilating mon itor skylight. The front projection is finished with a pedi ment roof, intersecting with main roof, and is crowned with an octagonal belfry, which finishes with a weather-vane. The building is designed throughout with a view to the complete separation of the sexes the first and second stories are each divided into two equal parts by a brick partition wall, thus forming four shops, each of which is 44 X 56 inside, and 11 feet in clear height. The shops in the first and second stories of the east end are for males, and those in the west end for females. The shops of second story are reached by open staircases from first story, located near the dividing wall in centre of the building. The apartments for males and females in each of these stories are connected by two doors. Iron doors from each of the shops give access to the stairways in the front projection; one stairway being for the men, and the other fpr the women. These stair ways, which are separated by a brick wall, lead to the chapel, which occupies the entire upper, or third story, and is 24 feet in clear height. The men occupy the main floor, and the women the gallery; which is so constructed that its occupants can see the speakers and singers on the platform only, and can have no communication by look or word, with the men below them, even should the chapel be crowded to its utmost. The room is designed to seat eight30 auditor's report. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 378 pages
  • 152 x 229 x 20mm | 503g
  • Forgotten Books
  • United States
  • English
  • , black & white illustrations
  • 0243147465
  • 9780243147465