Arrowsmith's Dictionary of Bristol

Arrowsmith's Dictionary of Bristol

By (author) 

List price: US$17.62

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1906 edition. Excerpt: ... young Davy (afterwards Sir Humphry) made his debut as-a philosopher; and here also Ann Yearsley, milkwomaii and poetess, who was in a great measure indebted to Hannah More for her success, invested her earnings in a circulating library, which ended in failure. Here sojourned Bishops Ken and Butler, and a great many Irish bishops, Pope, Combe (Doctor Syntax), Doddridge, Cowper, Lady I-Iesketh (who lies buried in the Cathedral), Sarah Duchess of Marlborough, Mrs. Thrale, Danby and Turner, each of whom in their way conferred celebrity upon the Hotwell. In 1822 a new pump-room was built which was taken down in 1867 to allow of the widening of the river. A rival spring, also of tepid water impregnated with gases, and long known as the New Hotwell, is first mentioned in 1702. It flowed into the Avon about 200 yards above the Blackrock Quarry. About 1730 it was taken on lease by two men at a rental of over 100 a year, but as there was then no footpath by the riverside it is not surprising to learn that the lessees became insolvent. Later on it was relet at a reduced rental; a pump-room and lodging-house were built, and owing to the somewhat remarkable cure of John Wesley from a consumptive attack in 1754, attributed to a course of the water, the spot was largely visited for a time. The only convenierit way of reaching it, however, was by a horse track from Durdham Down, cut in the southern slope of the ravine, or gully (still partially preserved), and the place was unable to compete with its older rival. In 1792 the buildings were occupied by quarrymen. In 1841 the Merchant Venturers' Society proposed to avail themselves of the abundant supply of water by pumping it to a reservoir on Observatory Hill for consumption in Clifton, but...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 238 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 13mm | 431g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236884531
  • 9781236884534