Archaeological Museum of the American University of Beirut
Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online. The Archaeology Museum of the American University of Beirut in Beirut, Lebanon is the third oldest museum in the Near East after Cairo and Constantinople.The museum was formed in 1868 after Luigi Palma di Cesnola gifted a collection of cypriot pottery to the newly formed American University of Beirut. Georges Post was the first curator of this collection and Morris Jesup donated the funds for construction of Post Hall (pictured) which opened in 1902. There is much archaeological plundering in Lebanon due to weak governmental control and people arrive daily at the museum with suggested artefacts plundered from clandestine excavations. Between 1902 and 1938 the Museum acquired collections from all around the Middle East. The museum remained closed during World War 2 and re-opened in 1948. It expanded in the 1950s and doubled it's floor space with a refurbishment under curator D.C. Baramki which opened to the public in 1964.
- Paperback | 148 pages
- 152 x 229 x 9mm | 227g
- 24 May 2011
- United States