The Antiquities of Scotland Volume 2

The Antiquities of Scotland Volume 2

By (author) 

List price: US$14.14

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1791 edition. Excerpt: ...the addition was made about fifty or fixty years ago, but feemed to fpeak only from conjecture. Part of the tower appears very ancient. Th1s houfe, according to Taylor and Skinner's Map of the roads, belonged formerly to the Earls of Errol; but in 1790, when this view was taken, was the property of John Forbes, of Callendar, Efq. BRUCE'S CASTLE. THIS caftle ftands on a rocky eminence, about fix miles South Eaft from Stirling, and near a mile and a half Eaft of the main road leading from Falkland to that town. From the traces of walls, &c. it feems, when entire, to have occupied a confide rabie area. Some vaults are ftill remaining. The ienant faid, that there was an iron door, which was taken away by Mr..Nicholion, the prefent proprietor, who converted it into a door to lbme of his fervants offices. Mr. Nicholion married the daughter of. Sir William Maxwell, of Springkeld. Th1s was one of the file of caftles mentioned in the defcription of Clackmannan, and is vifible at a confiderable diuance. Th1s view was drawn A. D. 1790. THE THENEWTORR PUBLIC LIBRARY i PUBLIC LIBRARY THE NUNNERT OF EMANUEL OR MANUEL. T HIS nunnery is iituated on the borders of Stirlingihire, upon the Weft bank of the water of Avon, about a mile above the bridge of Linlithgow, in the pariih of Moranfide or M ui ra von fide. It was founded about the year 1156 by King Malcolm IV. furnamed the Maiden, and was a priory occupied by nuns of the Bernardine or Ciiterthu order, to whom belonged thirteen convents in Scotland. Belides the endowments beftowed by the royal founder, it received confiderable donations from others at different periods. King William, furnamed the Lion, made a grant of the tenth of all his revenues in the iliire and borough of Linlithgow, both...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 46 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 3mm | 100g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236508092
  • 9781236508096