Annual Reports of the Selectmen, Treasurer, and School Board of the Town of Madbury

Annual Reports of the Selectmen, Treasurer, and School Board of the Town of Madbury : For the Financial Year Ending January 31, 1918 (Classic Reprint)

By (author) 

Free delivery worldwide

Available. Dispatched from the UK in 3 business days
When will my order arrive?

Description

Excerpt from Annual Reports of the Selectmen, Treasurer, and School Board of the Town of Madbury: For the Financial Year Ending January 31, 1918 The name Madbury antedates the parish and the town by more than a century. It was made a separate parish, with town priv ileges by the Provincial Assembly, May 31, 1755, and was in corporated a township May 26, 1768. An attempt was made in 1743 to secure parish privileges, but the town of Dover and the Provincial Assembly both refused to grant the petition that year, and the petitioners did not obtain this wish until 1755, when the territory was made a parish for ministerial purposes. The town is in the shape of a wedge, in between Dover on the east, Durham and Lee on the west, Barrington on the'north; on the south it comes to a point with the lines of Dover and Durham, at a ledge called Cedar Point, where one can put his feet in three towns and stand, facing south, and look down the Pascataqua river to the Hilton Point bridge. The distance along the Barrington line is a little less than three miles. The line between Dover and Madbury is seven miles long; the westerly line is about the same. The name Madbury was first applied to the territory west of the Barbado pond, in the vicinity of the ancient Gerrish mill, on the Bellamy river. Just when it began to be used there is no record, but March 19, 1693-4, it appears on Dover records when forty acres of land were granted to Francis Pitman on the N. W. Side of Logg hill, on the N. E. Side if the path going to 'madbury', where he had all Reddy begun to improve. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 44 pages
  • 152 x 229 x 2mm | 73g
  • Forgotten Books
  • United States
  • English
  • , black & white illustrations
  • 0243220065
  • 9780243220069