Annals of Southport and District; A Chronological History of North Meols from Alfred the Great to Edward VII.

Annals of Southport and District; A Chronological History of North Meols from Alfred the Great to Edward VII.

By (author) 

List price: US$16.69

Currently unavailable

We can notify you when this item is back in stock

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1903 edition. Excerpt: ...and was the builder of many of the chief public and business places in the town. December 22nd. Heavy W.S.W. gale, which did serious damage to the Promenade wall. The tide rose several feet higher than the normal measurement. 1859--January 24th. Very high tide, which made serious havoc on the Promenade, between Nevill Street and Seabank Road. February 3rd. Died, aged 43, George Robertson, Esq., of the Grange, Row Lane, son-in-law of the Rev. Charles Hesketb.--February. Mr. Edward Jump received several presents on leaving Southport to become Scripture reader at St. Jude's, Liverpool. Mr. Jump, a native of Southport, was a teacher and active worker in connection with Christ Church Sunday Schools, and was a young man of much promise. The Hon. and Rev. Dr. Waldegrave, Bishop of Carlisle, afterwards heard of Mr. Jump's work in Liverpool, and sent for him to visit Carlisle. In Liverpool he had studied much, along with the curate of the parish, from whom he had learned the classical languages. On reaching Carlisle the Lord Bishop asked him a number of questions, and ultimately surprised Mr. Jump by offering to ordain him. It was a difficult offer to accept, but was made possible by his friends, and the Bishop not only ordained him, but gave him a living, and was his friend and patron as long as his Lordship lived. Mr. Jump, prior to his death in 1901, was, for many years, Vicar of St. Paul's, Bolton. 1859--March 17th. At a public meeting, presided over by Dr. Peter Wood, J.P., Chairman of the Improvement Commissioners, it was decided to form a company, and at once proceed with the erection of a Pier. The capital was fixed at 8,000. March 31st. The price of gas reduced to 5s. iod. per 1,000 feet. April. General Election. On the 14th, Messrs. lgerton and...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 98 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 5mm | 191g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • Illustrations, black and white
  • 1236614666
  • 9781236614667