Modern readers of the Bible are time travelers visiting a society and culture very different from their own. Strange customs, unfamiliar words and novel concepts encountered in the Bible's pages can make understanding the Word of God a real challenge.
The Access Bible is friendly to people who've never studied the Bible before. It's been carefully written and edited so that those new to the world of Bible study can just pick it up - and start reading.
A unique feature of the Access Bible is the running commentary which is interspersed with the Bible text. Difficult concepts are clearly explained in terms which everyday readers can easily understand. There's no need to have a dictionary by your side when you're using The Access Bible. When a technical explanation is required, all of the terms are defined right on the page, as well as in a glossary at the back. History, social contexts, religious practices, the beliefs of ancient peoples - all are explained when the Bible text requires it.
In addition, this Bible was designed to contain all the background information needed by believers from a wide spectrum of churches. The Access Bible sets a new standard for ease of understanding.
* Running commentary interspersed throughout the text provides on-the-spot explanatory and interpretative information. Different type and horizontal lines clearly differentiate between the Scriptures and the scholarly notes.
* A Star Symbol following key technical terms points the reader to a helpful 16-page Glossary, which defines such terms.
* Introductions to each book of the Bible set the scene by explaining the cultural context in which they were written.
* 58 sidebar essays broaden the reader's understanding of biblical themes.
* In-text maps establish the geographical context of events described in the text.
* In-text charts display information in an easy-to-understand format.
* A select NRSV Concordance tells you where to find a word in the Bible.
* 36 pages of authoritative, full color New Oxford Bible Maps pinpoint cities and place names encountered in the biblical text.show more