Long Obedience in the Same Directio
Tucked away in the Hebrew Psalter, Peterson discovered "an old dog-eared songbook," the Songs of Ascents that were sung by pilgrims on their way up to worship in Jerusalem. In these songs (Psalms 120-134) Peterson finds encouragement for modern pilgrims as we learn to grow in worship, service, joy, work, happiness, humility, community and blessing.
This 20th anniversary edition of A Long Obedience in the Same Direction features these Psalms in Peterson's widely acclaimed paraphrase, The Message. He also includes an epilogue in which he reflects on the themes of this book and his ministry during the twenty years since its original publication.
- Paperback | 216 pages
- 150 x 250 x 15mm | 666g
- 01 Jul 2000
- InterVarsity Press
- Inter-Varsity Press,US
- Illinois, United States
- 20th Anniversary ed.
Table of contents
1. Discipleship: "What Makes You Think You Can Race Against Horses?"
2. Repentance: "I'm Doomed to Live in Meshech"
3. Providence: "God Guards You from Every Evil"
4. Worship: "Let's Go to the House of God!"
5. Service: "Like Servants . . . We're Watching Waiting"
6. Help: "Oh, Blessed Be God! He Didn't Go Off Leave Us!"
7. Security: "God Encircles His People"
8. Joy: "We Laughed, We Sang"
9. Work: "If God Doesn't Build the House"
10. Happiness: "Enjoy the Blessing! Revel in the Goodness!"
11. Perseverance: "They Never Could Keep Me Down!"
12. Hope: "I Pray to God . . . and Wait for What He'll Say Do"
13. Humility: "I've Kept My Feet on the Ground"
14. Obedience: "How He Promised God"
15. Community: "Like Costly Anointing Oil Flowing Down Head Beard"
16. Blessing: "Lift Your Praising Hands"
A Long Obedience: Epilogue