AS/400 : System, Utilities, Database, and Programming
- Hardback | 696 pages
- 205.7 x 269.2 x 35.6mm | 1,383.47g
- 10 Dec 1998
- Pearson Education (US)
- IBM Press
- Armonk, United States
- 2nd edition
Other books in this series
23 Dec 2015
19 Dec 2014
24 May 2014
16 Aug 2011
29 Jul 2010
02 Dec 2015
30 Jun 2009
Back cover copy
Table of contents
1. AS/400 System Overview.
Major Characteristics of AS/400. Operating System/400. AS/400 Advanced Series. AS/400e Series and e-business Solutions.
2. Menus and User Interface - A Tutorial. aheads = Sign On and Sign Off. Types of Displays. Operating the System by Built-in Menus - Lab Exercise. Function Keys and Prompting - Lab Exercise.
3. AS/400 Control Language (CL) - A Tutorial. aheads = CL Command Syntax and Command Names. CL Command Parameters. Required and Optional Parameters. Sample CL Commands with the Required and Optional Parameters. Predefined and User-supplied Parameters Values. Command Entry and Command Prompting - Lab Exercise.
4. Work Management and Job Processing. aheads = Work Management Concept and Structure Jobs and Subsystems. Major System and Job Commands. Job Description.
5. Object-oriented Architecture. aheads = Concept of Object. Object Types. Object Management.
6. Using Libraries and Library List - A Tutorial. aheads = Concept of Library. Library Types. Library List. Commands for Manipulating the Library List.
7. Storage Management. aheads = Virtual Storage and Single-level Storage. Storage Pools. RAID-1 and RAID-5 Technologies. Managing DASD.
8. System Security. aheads = Security Levels. User Profile and Group Profile. User Classes. Authorization List.
9. Backup and Recovery. aheads = Overview of Backup and Recovery. Backup Methods and Commands. Recovery Methods and Commands.
II. UTILITIES (APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT TOOLS).
10. Programmer Menu and Application Development Tools. aheads = Programming Support. Programmer Menu. Overview of Application Development Tools.
11. Source Entry Utility (SEU) - A Tutorial. aheads = Features of SEU. Starting SEU. Start SEU Command Parameters. Editing Source Member. Using Prompts and Format Lines. Exiting from SEU.
12. Data File Utility (DFU) - A Tutorial. aheads = Data File Utility (DFU) Overview. Creating a DFU Program - Lab Exercise. Changing a DFU Program - Lab Exercise. Running a DFU Program - Lab Exercise. Deleting a DFU Program.
13. Screen Design Aid (SDA) - A Tutorial. aheads = Screen Design Aid (SDA) Overview. Designing and Creating Menus - Lab Exercise. Designing and Creating Displays - Lab Exercise. Testing Displays. Work Screen Functions.
14. Programming Development Manager (PDM) - A Tutorial. aheads = Programming Development Manager (PDM) Overview. Starting PDM. Working with Libraries Using PDM - Lab Exercise. Working with Objects Using PDM - Lab Exercise. Working with Members Using PDM - Lab Exercise. PDM Options and Corresponding Commands.
15. Relational Database Concept. aheads = Database Management System and Database Models. Concept and Structure of the Relational Database. Sample Tables and Views.
16. AS/400 Database: DB2/400. aheads = The Model and Terms of DB2/400. DB2/400 Database Files: Physical Files and Logical Files. Externally Described Files and Program Described Files.
17. Using Data Description Specifications (DDS) to Define Database Files - A Tutorial. aheads = DDS Concepts and Procedures. DDS Entries and Specifications. Using DDS to Define a Physical File. Using DDS to Define a Logical File. Using DDS to Define a Join Logical File. Entering and Compiling DDS - Lab Exercise.
18. AS/400 Programming Languages. aheads = AS/400 Application Programming Support. Overview of AS/400 Programming Languages.
19. Control Language Programming (CLP). aheads = Control Language Programming Overview. Major Functions of CL Programs. CL Program Structure. A Sample CL Program.
20. RPG/400. aheads = Structured RPG. RPG Logic Cycle. RPG Indicators. RPG Specifications and Op Codes. A Sample RPG/400 Program.
21. RPG/400 Versus RPG II. aheads = The Evolution of RPG. Externally Described Files. Structured Programming. Data Structure, Data Area, and Subfile. Indicators and Composite Key.
22. COBOL/400. aheads = COBOL/400 Overview. Identification Division. Environment Division. Data Division. Procedure Division. A Sample COBOL/400 Program.
23. SQL/400 - A Tutorial. aheads = SQL/400 Overview. SQL Statements - Lab Exercise. Embedded SQL and Interactive SQL.
24. Query/400 - A Tutorial. aheads = Query/400 Overview. Major Options of Query/400. Using Query/400 - Lab Exercise.
25. AS/400 Integrated Language Environment (ILE), Modular Programming, and Object-oriented Programming (OOP). aheads = ILE Concepts and Key Elements. ILE Advantages. ILE Structure. ILE Versus Conventional Program Development.
26. Java on the AS/400. aheads = Java Overview. Programming in Java - A Tutorial. Java's Integration into the AS/400. Setting Up the AS/400 Toolbox for Java.
V. CLIENT/SERVER, NETWORKING, AND INTERNET.
27. Client/Server with the AS/400. aheads = Client/Server Concept. Client/Server Pros and Cons. Client/Server Computing with the AS/400.
28. TCP/IP Network - A Tutorial. aheads = TCP/IP Overview. TCP/IP Network and Protocols. TCP/IP Configuration: Step-by-Step.
29. Internet and Web Enabling. aheads = Internet Terminology. Internet Connection for AS/400. World Wide Web HTTP Server. AS/400 Internet Security and Firewall for AS/400.
30. Groupware, Lotus Notes, and Domino for AS/400. aheads = Overview of Groupware, Lotus Notes, and Domino. Features of Domino for AS/400. Enterprise Integration with Domino for AS/400. Web Serving with Domino for AS/400.
31. SAP on the AS/400. aheads = SAP Overview. Open System Architecture. SAP R/3 Multi-layer Client/Server Architecture. Combining the Strengths of SAP R/3 and AS/400. Porting SAP R/3 to AS/400. AS/400 Functionality Integrated into SAP R/3.
32. Using Client Access - A Tutorial. aheads = Client Access Overview. Data Transfer from AS/400 - Lab Exercise. Data Transfer to AS/400 - Lab Exercise.
33. Developing an Application Project Using DB2/400, DDS, SEU, PDM, DFU, SDA, Query/400, RPG/400, and CL Commands. aheads = Asset Master Application Project Specifications. Creating a Library and Source Files. Database Layouts of Physical and Logical Files. Using Data Description Specifications (DDS) to Define Database Files. Using Source Entry Utility (SEU) and Programming Development Manager (PDM) to Enter and Compile DDS. Using Data File Utility (DFU) to Enter Data into Database Files. Using Query/400 to Retrieve Data from the Database Files and Produce Reports. Using Screen Design Aid (SDA) to Create an Asset Master. Online Inquiry Screen Coding, Entering, and Compiling an Interactive RPG/400 Program. Using Screen Design Aid (SDA) to Create a User-defined Menu. Running the User-defined Menu.
Answers to Even-numbered Questions.
About Ibm Books
Gayla Stewart is a Professor at St. Louis Community College.