OpenStreetMap: Using, and Contributing to, the Free World MapPaperback
List price $37.39
You save $21.71 58% off
Free delivery worldwide
Dispatched in 3 business days
When will my order arrive?
- Publisher: UIT Cambridge
- Format: Paperback | 386 pages
- Dimensions: 177mm x 233mm x 31mm |
- Publication date: 1 October 2010
- Publication City/Country: Cambridge
- ISBN 10: 1906860114
- ISBN 13: 9781906860110
- Illustrations note: 192 Colour Photos/Black & White Illustrations/Tables/Maps/Screenshots
- Sales rank: 38,110
OpenStreetMap is a map of the whole world that can be used and edited freely by everyone. In a Wikipedia-like open community process, thousands of contributors world-wide survey the planet and upload their results to the OpenStreetMap database. Unlike some other mapping systems on the Web, the tools and the data are free and open. You can use them and modify them as you require; you can even download all the map data and run your own private map server if you need to. This book introduces you to the OpenStreetMap community, its data model, and the software used in the project. It shows you how to use the constantly-growing OSM data set and maps in your own projects. The book also explains in detail how you can contribute to the project, collecting and processing data for OpenStreetMap. If you want to become an OpenStreetMap mapper then this is the book for you.
Other books in this category
USD$12.39 - Save $7.04 36% off - RRP $19.43
USD$28.73 - Save $8.66 23% off - RRP $37.39
USD$31.82 - Save $10.06 24% off - RRP $41.88
USD$11.97 - Save $1.48 11% off - RRP $13.45
USD$11.28 - Save $3.67 24% off - RRP $14.95
USD$24.72 - Save $14.16 36% off - RRP $38.88
Frederik Ramm and Jochen Topf both joined the OpenStreetMap project in 2006 when they were freelance developers. Since then they have made their hobby their profession -- by founding Geofabrik, a company that provides services relating to OpenStreetMap and open geodata.
"The book is very well written and nicely typeset. ... It is obvious that the authors have a lot of knowledge and experience ..." "This book has proven to be a very good OSM introduction. Getting up to speed with OpenStreetMap is much easier if you have read this book." "This book is a must-have for OSM newcomers. The basics are presented well and are easy to understand, and you do not need to be an IT specialist to contribute your first data to OSM after a short time."
Table of contents
1. On the road to a free world map 2. The OpenStreetMap Community 3. On the Road with Your GPS Unit 4. Mapping 5. The Data Model 6. Map Features 7. The JOSM Editor 8. The Flash Editor Potlatch 9. License Issues for Data Acquisition 10. OSM Maps on the Web 11. Access to OSM Data 12. Rendering Maps with Osmarender 13. Rendering Maps with Mapnik 14. Maps for Garmin GPS Devices 15. License Issues for Users of the Map 16. Software Development with OSM 17. APIs and Web Services 18. Working with OSM Data 19. Navigation and Route Planning 20. Running your own OSM Server