The Child with Special Needs: Encouraging Intellectual and Emotional GrowthHardback A Merloyd Lawrence Book
List price $31.41
You save $9.71 30% off
Free delivery worldwide
Dispatched in 2 business days
When will my order arrive?
- Publisher: Da Capo Press Inc
- Format: Hardback | 512 pages
- Dimensions: 155mm x 236mm x 41mm | 771g
- Publication date: 6 January 1998
- Publication City/Country: Cambridge, MA
- ISBN 10: 0201407264
- ISBN 13: 9780201407266
- Sales rank: 62,585
Stanley Greenspan, internationally known for his work with infants, young children, and their families, and his colleague, nationally recognized child psychologist Serena Wieder, have for the first time integrated their award-winning research and clinical experience into a definitive guide to raising children with special needs. In this essential work they lay out a complete, step-by-step approach for parents, educators, and others who work with developmental problems. Covering all kinds of disabilities--including autism, PPD, language and speech problems, Down syndrome, cerebral palsy, and ADD--the authors offer a new understanding of the nature of these challenges and also specific ways of helping children extend their intellectual and emotional potential.The authors first show how to move beyond labels to observe the unique profile--strengths and problems--of the individual child. Next, they demonstrate the techniques necessary to help the child not only reach key milestones but also develop new emotional and intellectual capacities. Greenspan's well-known "floortime" approach enables parents, as well as clinicians, to use seemingly playful interactions that help children actually move up the development ladder and often master creative and abstract thinking formerly thought beyond their reach. Including vivid case histories, the book also offers deep and compassionate understanding of the stresses and rewards involved in raising a child with special needs.whose amazing work with autistic and other special needs children is nationally known, and his colleague, child psychologist Serena Wieder, have integrated a lifetime of research and clinical practice into a single, comprehensive guide for parents. Covering all kinds of disabilities--including cerebral palsy, autism, retardation, ADD, PDD, and language problems--the book offers specific ways of helping all children reach their full intellectual and emotional potential.First the authors show how to move beyond the label and observe the strengths and problems of the particular child and the key milestones that must be reached. Next, they move step by step through the techniques necessary to help the child reach these milestones and show how to tailor these to each child. Finally, with a deep and compassionate understanding they outline the marital, educational, and social stresses and rewards in raising a special needs child.
Other people who viewed this bought:
$13.69 - Save $5.15 27% off - RRP $18.84
$15.82 - Save $4.59 22% off - RRP $20.41
$11.93 - Save $0.70 (5%) - RRP $12.63
$16.25 - Save $5.73 26% off - RRP $21.98
$20.00 - Save $4.95 19% off - RRP $24.95
$12.00 - Save $13.06 52% off - RRP $25.06
Other books in this category
$12.33 - Save $3.37 21% off - RRP $15.70
$12.05 - Save $3.90 24% off - RRP $15.95
$20.00 - Save $4.95 19% off - RRP $24.95
$29.44 - Save $10.52 26% off - RRP $39.96
$44.34 - Save $8.30 15% off - RRP $52.64
$14.63 - Save $4.21 22% off - RRP $18.84
Stanley I. Greenspan, M.D., author of the widely used and praised books The Challenging Child and (with Serena Wieder, Ph.D.) Engaging Autism, is Clinical Professor of Psychiatry and Pediatrics at George Washington University Medical School and lives in Bethesda, Maryland. Serena Wieder, Ph.D., Associate Editor of the Journal of Developmental and Learning Disorders, is co-author with Dr. Greenspan of The Child with Special Needs and a close colleague of Dr. Greenspan's in all his work in the field of autism.
Table of contents
* Introduction Discovering Each Childs Unique Strengths, Developmental Capacities, And Challenges * Moving Beyond the Label * Biological Challenges * Observing Each Child: Biological Challenges and Strengths * The Six Milestones * Observing Each Child: The Six Milestones * Observing Yourselves * Emotion and Interaction: Keys to the Development of Intelligence, Sense of Self, and Social Capacities Encouraging Emotional And Intellectual Growth * The Floor-Time Approach * Floor Time I: Attention, Engagement, and IntimacyHelping a Child Become Interested in the World and Connect with People * Floor Time II: Two-Way CommunicationHelping a Child Communicate with Gestures and Expressions * Floor Time III: Feelings and IdeasHelping a Child Develop and Express Feelings and Ideas * Floor Time IV: Logical ThinkingHelping a Child Connect Ideas and Develop a Logical Understanding of the World * Strengthening Biologically Based Processing Abilities * Going to Sleep, Toilet Training, and Other Difficult Challenges * Special-Needs Syndromes Family, Therapy, And School * Marital Challenges * Family Challenges * An Integral Approach to Therapy * School and Other Children * What Can We Expect?