The Book Depository BlogRSS
- Showing 81 to 85 of 1693 results
Thu, 03 Feb 2011 11:04
Attention Rabbit people! You are: articulate, talented, ambitious, virtuous, reserved, admired, trusted, financially lucky, gossipy, tactful, generally kind, calm, clever at business, good gamblers (but never gamble!), conservative and wise.
Well, lucky you!
Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:28
Thanks for all your great entries in our Get Making competition. We asked you what in the world would you most like to make. We had a woman who wanted to make her husband clean the house and a youngster who wanted to make their teacher to disappear. But the overwhelming number of entries were very generous and giving and people wanted to make quilts, cushions and all manner of comforting things for their families
So, we decided to pick the winner out of a hat and congratulations to Reshma Singh, who lives on a kibbutz in Israel. Thanks again to everybody!
Fri, 21 Jan 2011 08:52
This Monday coming, the winner is announced for the 2010 T.S. Eliot Prize. Those of you within reach of London's South Bank can hear nine of the ten shortlisted poets reading from their work. It's at the Royal Festival Hall and tickets are still available.
The shortlist contains collections by Simon Armitage (last year's chair of the judges), Annie Freud, John Haynes, Seamus Heaney, Pascale Petit, Robin Robertson, Fiona Sampson, Brian Turner, Derek Walcott and Sam Willetts.
Wed, 19 Jan 2011 16:27
A peek behind the scenes with the Design bods.
The brief Creating a set of bookmarks was quite an interesting brief to receive, but to top it off they had to be packed full of useful charts and informative content that you would use every day.
This set of useful bookmarks includes:
- Ruler / CM to Inches conversions
- Fahrenheit to Celsius / Litres to Gallons
- International shoe size charts / Clothes sizes,
- Useful phrases in different languages
- 2011 mini calendar
- Periodic table
- Keyboard shortcut keys for Apple and Windows
- Basic Guitar and Piano chords
- Google cheat sheets
- Countries, capital cities, dialling codes and currencies
- Multiplication tables
- Useful knots
- Nato phonetic alphabet (Oscar, bravo, lima) / Morse code alphabet
- Cooking measurement conversions
Information and inspiration I set about the task by first collecting all the information, looking for subjects that would be useful to me in everyday life, like the 'Nato phonetic alphabet'. I'm forever making up different code words to describe letters over the phone and in the process surely confusing whoever is on the other end of the phone. S for Spock, T for Teleport (You can tell I'm a trekkie can't you?) Cooking conversions was another useful subject to me, as I love making food! (I love eating it even more) I never knew what a 1 cup of sugar meant, after all I own cups of all shapes and sizes. The next step was looking for some creative inspiration to help me along my way. I found various influences in the form of our previous bookmarks, a neat little pack of Cards called 'Type Trumps' and a couple of cool info-graphic books. Information is Beautiful by David McCandless called and Envisioning Information by Edward R.Tufte.
The Design process The creative process mostly started off with sketching ideas on paper, creating mind maps then trying to re-produce and improve them using Illustrator and Photoshop. In the case of the Litres to Gallons bookmark, it was pretty simple. I started off with water drops as an idea to represent liquid weights, and placed the water drops falling from top to bottom with the idea of placing the UK, US Gallons and the litres underneath each drop. However the data seemed to be too far apart and disconnected, so it developed into the water drops expanding out from a centre creating a focal point to relate the data - then gradually growing in size from top to bottom. Designing information graphically turned out to be quite tricky, the designs had to be simple enough to understand, graphically appealing whilst not cramming too much information into the limited space available. In general the goal was to make this information beautiful yet very usable.
Keep a look out for when we release these great new bookmarks into the wild...
Wed, 19 Jan 2011 11:07
- Showing 81 to 85 of 1693 results
- The Book Depository Team
- Adam Spinach View posts >
- Anna Content Manager View posts >
- Eric Admin View posts >
- Ben Elliss Head of IT View posts >
- Admin The Book Depository View posts >
View more team members >
- Mr McPaws Poet and kitten View posts >
- Alice Hart Davis Author View posts >
- Sibella Court Author View posts >
- Gordon Grice Gordon Grice View posts >
- Kieron MD The Book Depository View posts >
- Barry Chicken House View posts >
- Hugh Aldersey Williams Author View posts >
- Mark Forsyth Author View posts >
- Stevo Senior Designer View posts >
- Thalia Guest blogger View posts >
- Jason Senior front end Dev View posts >
- Will IT Director View posts >
- Mark Content Manager View posts >
- Publisher Blogs
- Alma Books Bloggerel
- Continuum philosophy
- Faber's Thought Fox
- Harvard University Press Publicity
- Indiana University Press
- Jam Language Publishing
- North Atlantic Books
- View more publisher blog >