The Book Depository BlogRSS
- Showing 66 to 70 of 1693 results
Mon, 23 May 2011 11:10
Apologies for the long post. Well, not exactly long word-wise but long scroll-wise. You see, to do justice to these 3D covers Vintage have just produced for some classic scifi we had to show them big style. Unfortunately, we don't have 3D glasses to view them but if you stare at the screen and blink your left and right eyes in very quick succession you'll get the full 3D effect (works for me, anyway...)
Thu, 19 May 2011 14:05
"Fiction uncovered is a promotion to support our best fiction writers - those writers who deserve wider recognition but have yet to receive a major literary prize or media attention, or be picked for retailer promotions.
Fiction Uncovered will create the opportunity for eight UK-based fiction writers (novels, short stories, graphic novels) to be part of a major promotion supported by retailers, and a major publicity and marketing campaign.
The eight titles for the Fiction Uncovered promotion will be selected by a judging panel. The Chair of Judges for Fiction Uncovered 2011 is the author Giles Foden. He will be joined by Damian Barr (author, playwright, journalist and host of the Shoreditch House Literary Salon), Simon Burke (Fiction Buying Manager, Waterstone's) and Sarah Crown (Literary Editor, Guardian Online)"
Today the books have been chosen and as we're one of the retailers supporting the promotion, you can find all the books gathered in one friendly place, here.
Wed, 18 May 2011 08:13
The Orwell Prize 2011 has gone to The Rule of Law by Tom Bingham. From the site "The Orwell Prize is Britain's most prestigious prize for political writing. Every year, we award prizes for the work - the book, the journalism and (since 2009) the blog - which comes closest to George Orwell's ambition 'to make political writing into an art'". This years winner was a unanimous decision apparently although unfortunately the author, a former master of the rolls, lord chief justice, and senior law lord, died last year.
The International Man Booker prize is an altogether more random affair. "Worth £60,000 to the winner, the prize is awarded every two years to a living author who has published fiction either originally in English or whose work is generally available in translation in the English language. The winner is chosen solely (arbitrarily?) at the discretion of the judging panel." And if Man Booker have a spare 60 grand to give away then best of luck to them and this years winner, Philip Roth is certainly not undeserving of such largesse.
Finally, from an author who'll probably win some prizes comes a book we would have featured in our Book of the Week slot if there wasn't such a fight for what gets into it. Moth Smoke is all about a Pakistani banker with a hashish habit written by Mohsin Hamid, who brought us the brilliant Reluctant Fundamentalist.
Fri, 13 May 2011 16:52
Because it's spring and we're feeling generous we've decided to offer an extra 10% discount in addition to our already great prices until the end of May. So dust off those wishlists and get searching and save a bundle.
(Plus, we're running an office sweepstake to see who can guess the value of the offer. I've gone in pretty high, so you have to help me out here. Buy, buy, buy)
Thu, 05 May 2011 09:25
75 years. That's a whole lifetime away and it's how long ago Gone with the Wind was published. How do we know this? Well, there's a 75th Anniversary Edition of course.Other things that are 75th:
- - Diamond anniversary
- - The atomic number of rhenium
- - The age limit for Canadian senators
- - Municipal Okrug 75, a municipal okrug of Frunzensky District of Saint Petersburg
- - A common name for the Canon de 75 modèle 1897, a French World War 1 gun
- - The departement number of the city of Paris
And a cool clip from the movie.
- Showing 66 to 70 of 1693 results
- The Book Depository Team
- Adam Spinach View posts >
- Anna Content Manager View posts >
- Eric Admin View posts >
- Ben Elliss Head of IT View posts >
- Admin The Book Depository View posts >
View more team members >
- Mr McPaws Poet and kitten View posts >
- Alice Hart Davis Author View posts >
- Sibella Court Author View posts >
- Gordon Grice Gordon Grice View posts >
- Kieron MD The Book Depository View posts >
- Barry Chicken House View posts >
- Hugh Aldersey Williams Author View posts >
- Mark Forsyth Author View posts >
- Stevo Senior Designer View posts >
- Thalia Guest blogger View posts >
- Jason Senior front end Dev View posts >
- Will IT Director View posts >
- Mark Content Manager View posts >
- Publisher Blogs
- Alma Books Bloggerel
- Continuum philosophy
- Faber's Thought Fox
- Harvard University Press Publicity
- Indiana University Press
- Jam Language Publishing
- North Atlantic Books
- View more publisher blog >