Book Depository BlogRSS
- Showing 66 to 70 of 1768 results
Wed, 21 Mar 2012 15:16
Worldwide it is estimated that 5.8m people have Down syndrome, the condition which gives people an extra chromosome 21 (so there are three rather than two). Today is World Down Syndrome Day (21/3) which sees many events around the world and a UN conference. The Book Depository has been proud to support (we've had book auctions, sponsored bookmarks and other fun stuff) Down Syndrome Education International - a charity which works in many countries helping children with Down syndrome with reading skills.
You can find out more about Down Syndrome here.
Wed, 07 Mar 2012 14:10
Fri, 02 Mar 2012 11:22
Fri, 02 Mar 2012 09:23
Hooray for Heroines!
I love sparky heroines, and determined young women who find their own way (often after a headlong dash in the other direction!). It's been my privilege to know the equally impressive creators of such remarkable creatures - Nina Bawden, Anne Fine, Jacqueline Wilson from these shores, and the brilliant Beverly Cleary in the USA. Sometimes they have been rather scary themselves, determined to use their wit and wisdom to make a point to this steady old editor chap! So I'm hugely proud to be able to introduce a new favourite to all their fans. Sophia Bennett has already shown with her bestselling THREADS series that fashion and compassion make a telling and emotional mix. Now her latest novel, THE LOOK, tells the heart-wrenching story of the contrasting fates of two sisters, set in the glamorous world of modelling. Real girl power and really good writing! Ideal for heroines (and some heroes) of 11+.
'Have just read THE LOOK ... one word, BRILLIANT. A difficult topic, sensitively handled.' CATHY CASSIDY
Watch Sophia reading from The Look:
Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:16
We have a competition running at the moment to win a trip to India. It's one of our best ever. We thought it would be nice to highlight some Indian literature to compliment the competition but it's actually quite difficult to find contemporary Indian writers, in print, in translation and available. But we have put together a nice little list of classical Sanskrit epics alongside more recent Poetry and fiction.
Of course, it would be remiss of us not to mention the great Indian writing in English that include such well known names as Vikram Seth, Salman Rushdie, Arundhati Roy, Amitav Ghosh, Rohinton Mistry, Vikram Chandra, Vikas Swarup, Anita Desai, Kiran Desai, Jhumpa Lahiri, Aravind Adiga and Gita Mehta.
- Showing 66 to 70 of 1768 results
- Book Depository Team
- Adam Spinach View posts >
- Anna Content Manager View posts >
- Noriko Tsuchiya Author View posts >
- Eric Admin View posts >
- Ben Elliss Head of IT View posts >
View more team members >
- Admin The Book Depository View posts >
- Mr McPaws Poet and kitten View posts >
- Alice Hart Davis Author View posts >
- Sibella Court Author View posts >
- Gordon Grice Gordon Grice View posts >
- Barry Chicken House View posts >
- Hugh Aldersey Williams Author View posts >
- Mark Forsyth Author View posts >
- Stevo Senior Designer View posts >
- Thalia Guest blogger View posts >
- Jason Senior front end Dev View posts >
- Mark Content Manager View posts >
- Publisher Blogs
- Alma Books Bloggerel
- Continuum philosophy
- Faber's Thought Fox
- Harvard University Press Publicity
- Indiana University Press
- Jam Language Publishing
- North Atlantic Books
- View more publisher blog >