Book Depository BlogRSS
Tue, 05 May 2009 10:52
The art publisher Thames & Hudson is 60 years old this year:
Walter and Eva Neurath founded Thames & Hudson sixty years ago with the central objective of creating a programme of illustrated, non-fiction books that would educate, inform and entertain as a "museum without walls". Their mission has been overwhelmingly successful, and now you can find T&H's books in all the most far-flung corners of the globe.
To help celebrate Thames & Hudson's birthday we are having another competition. The twenty tricky questions are below. The winner will win a complete set of all 20 of Thames & Hudson's specially-jacketed Anniversary editions (worth £388). The set is a classic selection of some of Thames & Hudson's best-selling titles. Three runners up will receive a copy of the special hardback edition of the seminal T&H title Sensation: Young British Artists from the Saatchi Collection.
So, what are you waiting for? Just answer the following questions and send the answers to me in an email entitled "T and H quiz answers" to tandhquiz AT bookdepository.co.uk
- What medium is used to create the drawings within Henry Moore's Sheep sketchbook?
- Which short lived Artistic Movement (1905-1907) had the following artists as its leaders, Henri Matisse and Andre Derain?
- Which artist created the controversial work entitled The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living?
- What is the name of the colour the artist Yves Klein famously invented?
- Which city is the original Book of Kells kept?
- Which supermodel was nicknamed The Body?
- Where is the Famous Derek Jarman's Garden?
- Which Renaissance artist created the Fresco, The Last Judgement, in the Sistine Chapel?
- Which year was the Sensation exhibition first shown in london?
- In 2004, Zaha Hadid was the first woman to win which prestigous prize for architecture?
- What is the name of the great modern artist who created the work entitled Fountain out of an urinal?
- The Lovers' Whirlwind by William Blake is an illustration for which book in Dante's Divine Comedy?
- The author of the book Secret Knowledge also painted the famous A Bigger Splash, what is his name?
- Some of the world's greatest cave art can be found in the caves at Lascaux, but which country are they in?
- In which year was the London Eye completed?
- Where is Manolo Blahnik's flagship store?
- Which sportswear company was founded by Bill Bowerman and Philip Knight in 1972?
- Which band famously associated with Factory Records released Unknown Pleasures as their debut album?
- The first Proms concert was held at the Queen's Hall in Langham Palace but what year was it?
- Which British Graffiti Artist famously put one of their own works in the Britsh Museum's Roman Britain Collection?
The competition closes 12th June. The winners will be announced on the blog in the middle of June.
Oh, and please, please don't leave your answers as comments on the blog -- if you do, I'll just have to delete them!
CommentsShowing 1 to 6 of 6 results
Showing 1 to 6 of 6 results
I forgot how interesting books are, and the excitement of researching a subject, and then finding the answer, fantastic
- Posted Fri, 22 May 2009 05:18
- Adrian Cook
A highly educational bundle! - but for those who like to go plebeian, how about a fun prize? The Complete Biggles perhaps or William?
- Posted Sun, 17 May 2009 01:15
- Ron Law
Please stop sending me your newsletters - at 81 years I have enough to read! Thanks - Ron Law.
- Posted Sat, 16 May 2009 05:08
I haven't had so much fun in ages! Very educational! Can you do another one??
- Posted Fri, 15 May 2009 07:34
I just learnt a LOT!
- Posted Thu, 14 May 2009 06:13
I wonder how many answers everyone got without google/wikipedia??
- Posted Wed, 13 May 2009 09:20
Write a Comment
- Book Depository Team
- Adam Spinach View posts >
- Anna Content Manager View posts >
- Noriko Tsuchiya Author View posts >
- Eric Admin View posts >
- Ben Elliss Head of IT View posts >
View more team members >
- Admin The Book Depository View posts >
- Mr McPaws Poet and kitten View posts >
- Alice Hart Davis Author View posts >
- Sibella Court Author View posts >
- Gordon Grice Gordon Grice View posts >
- Barry Chicken House View posts >
- Hugh Aldersey Williams Author View posts >
- Mark Forsyth Author View posts >
- Stevo Senior Designer View posts >
- Thalia Guest blogger View posts >
- Jason Senior front end Dev View posts >
- Mark Content Manager View posts >
- Publisher Blogs
- Alma Books Bloggerel
- Continuum philosophy
- Faber's Thought Fox
- Harvard University Press Publicity
- Indiana University Press
- Jam Language Publishing
- North Atlantic Books
- View more publisher blog >